YMCA of Greater Long Beach
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Tutor- Fairfield Family YMCA
at YMCA of Greater Long Beach
The Fairfield Family YMCA is looking for a Tutor to work closely with program staff and students to determine needs in the areas reading, math, and science in accordance with State and Licensing requirements (title 22). We are looking for Tutors who demonstrates a desire to serve others and fulfill community needs. Building rapport and relating to the students and parents is important. The YMCA staff strives to meet or exceed goals and deliver a high-value experience for members and participants. We embraces new approaches and discovers ideas to create a better experience for our members and participants. If this sounds like a good fit for you please apply!
The YMCA of Greater Long Beach is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
- Conduct initial reading level evaluations for each student or request current reading level benchmarks from parents.
- Utilize assessments and benchmarks to assess their progress in reading, math and science.
- Tutors will complete a report on student progress based on their observations every three months.
- Students and families will complete a pre and post program survey about their experience.
- Request academic report cards from parents before and at the conclusion of the program.
- Conducts individualized tutorial sessions for students with academic deficiencies; determines what skill areas require additional assistance.
- Designs and implements exercises and activities to facilitate student's academic improvement.
- Maintains all records required to document student's attendance and academic progress.
- Determines student's needs for assistance in other areas such as counseling and refers as necessary.
- Schedules and conducts quarterly conferences with participants explaining evaluation of the student’s progress.
- Arranges or assists in arranging various special academic programs which are in addition to normal tutorial sessions.
- Assists with tutorial program evaluation and reports.
- Follow and meet State and Licensing requirements (title 22)
- Ability to tutor students one on one, or in a small groups in various academic subjects.
- Ability to recognize learning disabilities.
- Model and promotes positive behavior, attitude and language while developing positive conflict resolution skills among children, parents and
- Maintain open lines of communication with participant, parents, staff and superviso
- Perform other duties as assigned.
YMCA Competencies (Leader):
Mission and Community Oriented: Accepts and demonstrates YMCA values. Works effectively with people of different backgrounds, abilities, opinions and perceptions. Demonstrates a desire to serve others and fulfill community needs. Recruits volunteers and builds effective, supportive working relationships with them.
People Oriented: Seeks first to understand the other person’s point of view, and remains calm in
challenging situations. Builds rapport and relates well to others. Listens for understanding and meaning;
speaks and writes effectively. Takes initiative to assist in developing others.
Results Oriented: Strives to meet or exceed goals and deliver a high-value experience for members.
Embraces new approaches and discovers ideas to create a better member experience. Makes sound judgments, and transfers learning from one situation to another.
Establishes goals, clarifies tasks, plans work and actively participates in meetings. Supports fundraising. Follows budgeting policies and procedures, and reports all financial irregularities immediately.
Personal Development Oriented: Accurately assesses personal feelings, strengths and limitations and how they impact relationships. Pursues self-development that enhances job performance. Demonstrates an openness to change, and seeks opportunities in the change process.
Skill / Requirements
- Must be 18 years of age or older.
- Previous experience with diverse populations.
- Knowledge of teaching techniques and academic programs.
- Skill in both verbal and written communication.
- BA in Education/ Child development and at least 2 years of tutoring experience.
- Health screening with negative TB and negative Drug test screening
- Complete all required training(s).
- Criminal Clearance: including fingerprints
Environmental Factors: Indoor and outdoor facilities (e.g. kitchen and recreational sites); exposure to heat, cold, potentially hazardous chemicals, toxic materials; work on slippery or uneven surfaces. Noise level is usually moderate.
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls. The employee frequently is required to stoop, bend, kneel, crouch, talk, hear, stand, walk, sit, and reach with hands and arms. The employee must occasionally lift, push, pull, and/or move up to 30 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.