Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Director, Software Engineering
at Virgin Orbit
- Req No.
- Regular Full-Time
Who we are
At Virgin Orbit, we launch the small satellite revolution, accessing space for missions that were previously unimaginable and fostering new ideas and technologies to create a truly spacefaring civilization. We deliver Virgin’s legendary customer service by pairing technological advancements with a clear focus on our customers’ needs. We build a workplace and a workforce for the future, knowing that our decisions and investments of today will launch the industries of tomorrow. We engage a diverse and inclusive community of dreamers and achievers in a shared mission to access space to improve life on Earth. At Virgin Orbit, we boost imagination. Search all of our job openings on our career portal.
Virgin Orbit (VO) is seeking a Director of Software Engineering to lead the software for our LauncherOne System though first flight and scale-up to high production rates. The position reports to the Sr Director of Systems. This role is for a hands-on person with great attention to detail and excellent people skills. This is a full-time position at our rocket factory in beautiful Long Beach, California.
- Manage the teams that develops, tests, and evolves the embedded Flight Software for the LauncherOne rocket, the launch software, and elements of the system test software. Must be able to dive in and drive execution, solve issues, make key architecture decisions etc.
- Collaborate with teams across the company including Avionics, GN&C, Launch, Propulsion, Structures, Production, and Business Development, to elicit requirements and resolve implementation issues.
- Develop scope and schedule baselines to align with program and company objectives; manage and/or oversee execution of all major deliverables
- Maintain and report key metrics and forecasts for all the above software applications and tools
- Responsibility for leading the development and integration of high efficiency data/database driven tools, processes, architectures, and some test platforms to support high volume production
What you bring
If you want to join us, you’d better have all of these…
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or in “STEM” Majors (Science, Technology, Engineering and Math) 12+ years relevant experience
- At least 5 years leading a software team through full lifecycle development for high-reliability embedded software applications (i.e. requirements, architecture, design iteration, test, and transition to stable production releases)
- Experience leading managers and building and maintaining high performance software teams, including forecasting resource requirements, hiring, mentoring etc.
- Proficient oral and written communications skills including being adept and comfortable briefing to senior level executives.
- Strong background in software development for real-time systems using C, C++ or python.
- Strong background with aerospace ground systems (i.e. Telemetry, Tracking, Command and Control)
- Competent with agile development in a Jira Agile Scrum environment
…and you should probably have a bunch of these, too.
- Master’s Degree in Computer Science or in “STEM” Majors and/or an MBA
- Expertise working with both hardware, software, and test of aerospace platforms, preferably Launch Vehicles
- Experience leading software integration and test in a hardware in the loop test environment including ground system integration
- Proficiency with Labview software
- Experience with safety critical and time critical software and autocode integration
- Experience with continuous integration and delivery of software
- Experience with organizational management, system engineering and requirements development
- Deep understanding of several aerospace system and subsystem elements i.e. TT&C, GNC, avionics, etc
- Experience with OpenEmbedded build automation framework is a plus