TriMark R.W. Smith & Co.
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Business Development Manager (Los Angeles)
at TriMark R.W. Smith & Co.
Los Angeles, CA - Sales
# of openings:
TriMark USA is one of the nation's largest providers of design and build services, equipment and supplies to the foodservice industry. TriMark offers operators an unrivaled level of customized service by combining the hands-on support and local market knowledge of a strong, regional supplier with the purchasing strength, industry expertise, and delivery capabilities of a national company. We partner with our customers, which include national chains, independent restaurants, healthcare facilities, K-12 and universities, entertainment venues, and many other segments, providing tailored solutions and essential products to operate with greater efficiency and realize better bottom line results. Our aim every day is to serve with excellence, meeting the needs of foodservice professionals so they can achieve their culinary vision.
The Business Development Manager is responsible for managing the sales lifecycle including generating leads, writing proposals, making presentations, identifying and securing new business opportunities, monitoring account performance, and following up on sales activities through delivery to ensure satisfaction with territory-specific foodservice customers. Generally, this is accomplished by identifying a substantial pipeline of targeted customers; making in-person sales calls; visiting food service providers and by providing exceptional knowledge and service to customers in a timely and efficient manner.
Consultative sales techniques, developing long-term effective relationships with customers, following through with commitments and effective communication are all essential factors necessary to be successful in this role with TriMark. A strong alignment with the Company’s mission, values and goals are also necessary for long-term success and growth within the company. The Business Development Managers acquire and retain business partners by developing strong customer relationships, maintaining an active call back list, and creating and following up on referrals from their existing customer base.
Essential Functions & Responsibilities
- Identifies new lateral and vertical market target customers through:
- Print/electronic media sources,
- Business directories,
- Liquor license applications,
- Leads from existing clients,
- Leads from the Design Build division,
- Active participation in regional leads groups and food service-related organizations and through attendance at trade shows and/or conferences.
- Monitors market conditions, product innovations and trends, and competitors' products, pricing and sales strategies to maximize competitive stance.
- Stays abreast of business strategies and trends to effectively acquire new business and to maximize revenue growth period over period with existing customers.
- Calls on ten (10) prospective customers each week.
- Schedules weekly face-to-face meetings with existing customers to assess short and long-term needs.
- Prepares tabletop, small wares and/or equipment quotes.
- Solicits, secures, processes and ensures fulfillment of reorder business; encourages all customers to utilize the Ecommerce platform.
- Provides and highlights “sample of the month”, quarterly sales flyers and company/vendor catalogs.
- Orders samples, sets-up and presents tabletop options to customers for consideration.
- Develops a close working relationship with key decision makers at existing accounts including, but not limited to, the property’s general manager, chef, buyer, catering manager, and/or events manager.
- Communicates relevant product, pricing, chip warranties, stock availability and delivery and backorder status to customers.
- Ensures customers’ questions are addressed in a timely manner.
- Completes five to eight (5-8) sales calls per day with existing customers.
- Sells $168,000 in proprietary products, a combination of the Premier and Cornerstone brand products each year.
- Establishes effective working relationships with manufacturers’ representatives.
- Attends and actively participates in rookie and quarterly training days sponsored by the Company and our vendors.
- Subscribes to and reads foodservice magazines to maximize tabletop, small wares and equipment product knowledge.
- Performs administrative duties such as preparing and/or updated sales budget and business plans; generates and submits accurate reports (i.e., 515) both within and outside of CRM as required; keeps accurate, historical sales records per customer, and files expense reimbursement reports in a timely manner.
- Obtains and follows-up on credit applications necessary to open a new account and supports the credit/collection processes as necessary.
- Updates the Company’s Outlook Directory, ERP (SX) system and CRM system with customer and project details as available.
- Organizes, plans, and prioritizes work schedules to maximize sales and profitability while minimizing non-revenue producing duties;
- Attends and actively participates in foodservice trade shows and sales conferences as requested.
- Continuously develops the TriMark R.W. Smith brand within assigned territory by participating in community outreach activities.
Competencies, Skills and Abilities
- Reads, writes, speaks and comprehends the English language.
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations.
- Ability to write reports, business correspondence,
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
- Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, and percentages.
- Basic business math ability
- Seeks to continuously learn and has the capacity necessary to adapt efficiently and effectively respond when in training situations.
- Assimilates and processes numerical information to make objective decisions.
- Analyzes and reasons within different contexts and situations;
- Works effectively with a variety of people with differing abilities and presentation styles.
- Computer hardware and software proficiency including an intermediate-level, hands-on knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, Outlook), and Internet navigation.
- Maintains a valid driver license and current vehicle insurance at all times throughout the employment cycle; has access to reliable transportation.
- Presents professionally, both in attire and demeanor.
- Spends up to 85% of each work day in personal vehicle, driving to and from customer appointments.
- Up to 10% of the time is required to travel using personal vehicle or public transportation to attend business meetings outside of employee’s residence city or state.
- Identifies and implements effective relationship strategies with business associates, including key external decision makers as well as company leaders and operations and support staff;
- Communicates and resolves complex ideas using data, words or both.
- Displays a stronger than average energy level; is a self-starter who thrives in situations where managing multiple, time-sensitive commitments are easily overcome without compromising integrity or becoming overwhelmed.
- Uses objective reasoning and independent judgment to make decisions with financial consequence to the organization.
- Prior use of sales and customer relationship management (CRM) software tools and enterprise resource planning (ERP) programs.
Education & Experience
- No Bachelor’s Degree – four years of experience if any of the following: hospitality, customer service, outside sales or Bachelor’s Degree with three years of experience in any of the following: hospitality, customer service, outside sales.
- Bachelor’s degree plus a combination of three years’ experience in B2B outside sales or restaurant operations experience in the front and/or back of the house.
- Associates degree or Culinary Arts degree plus a combination of three years’ experience in B2B outside sales or restaurant operations experience in the front and/or back of the house.
- Three or more years’ recent B2B outside sales within the food service industry; plus
- Three or more years’ restaurant operations (front or back of the house) experience within the past ten years; and/or
- Two or more years’ recent experience as a manufacturer’s rep working either directly for the manufacturer or with a rep group.
Our Benefits Package:
Our total compensation package includes market competitive base salaries; bonus programs; and, employee benefits, which are available after 30 days of consecutive full-time employment. Our paid time off program includes paid vacation, sick leave and holidays.
Additionally, TriMark offers medical insurance with prescription drug coverage, dental, vision and life insurance programs; and 100% employer paid premium for long- term disability coverage. Full time employees are also eligible to participate in the Section 125 pre-tax premium plan, health and dependent care spending accounts and our pre- and post-tax 401(k) retirement savings plans.
TriMark is an Equal Opportunity Employer – Minorities/Females/Individuals with Disabilities/Veterans.
TriMark will consider all applicants in a manner consistent with the requirements of the Fair Chance Initiative.
If you are a qualified individual with a disability or a disabled veteran, you have the right to request an accommodation if you are unable or limited in your ability to use or access our Career Center as a result of your disability. To request assistance or an accommodation, please contact Human Resources at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Employment with TriMark may be contingent upon successfully complying with the Company's post-offer, pre-employment drug/alcohol screen, a background check, and a motor vehicle record pull. Employees who either drive a company-owned vehicle or routinely drive their own vehicle while conducting business on behalf of the Company may be required to annually participate in our motor vehicle record pull, and to provide the Company with a copy of their driver's license and motor vehicle insurance.
We provide a smoke-free and drug-free work environment.
Third-party recruiters and agencies without a current signed contract should not respond to this posting.