Sumitomo Electric Group
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Managing Counsel – Corporate & Commercial
at Sumitomo Electric Group
Managing Counsel – Corporate & Commercial
Sumitomo Electric U.S.A. Holdings, Inc. (SEUHO) seeks a sophisticated and experienced attorney to fill the position of Managing Counsel in SEUHO’s Legal Department, which oversees all legal and compliance issues for the Sumitomo Electric Group companies operating in North and South America.
The Managing Counsel’s primary responsibilities will be to provide corporate and commercial legal services to SEUHO’s affiliates and subsidiaries. The successful candidate will have 8+ years of general corporate and commercial experience, including experience with drafting and negotiating contracts, drafting and implementation of corporate policies and procedures, and day-to-day counseling and advice at a major law firm and/or corporate law department.
In addition to their practice experience, strong candidates will possess exceptional communication skills, an ability to work in a collegial, business-centered environment, and an intrinsic interest in learning new areas of law. Candidates should also have the intellectual drive to help establish a relatively new legal function for a dynamic and growing law department of an established company. Located near Los Angeles, California (Torrance), this position will report directly to the General Counsel of the Americas and will help to oversee a network of over 48 Sumitomo Electric Group companies that design, manufacture, and sell a wide variety of electric components, electrical wires and cables, industrial materials, information and communication devices, and cutting-edge energy storage. The group companies in North and South America generate over $5 billion in net sales annually and are subsidiaries of Sumitomo Electric Industries, Ltd., which is a publicly-traded company on the Tokyo stock exchange and is a Fortune global 500 company.
- J.D. from an ABA accredited law school and membership in good standing with one state bar
- At least 8 years of relevant general corporate and commercial legal experience, preferably including experience in both a major law firm and a corporate law department
- Experience counseling businesses on a variety of issues including commercial matters and disputes, contract negotiations, procurement- and sales-related matters, corporate governance matters, and best practices for corporate policies and procedures
- Experience with drafting and negotiating contracts of various degrees of complexity
- Ability to work closely with business stakeholders to understand their business processes, applications, and technologies
- Ability to operate in a fast-paced, sophisticated, and congenial work environment
- Ability to supervise and work closely with outside counsel to identify and minimize business risks and to achieve strategic objectives in a cost-effective, timely basis
- Willingness to work cooperatively to grow and develop the legal function to support mature and successful businesses as we build out a sophisticated legal department
- Ability to work variable hours and travel, as needed, to both domestic and international locations
About Sumitomo Electric Group
Since the founding of Sumitomo Electric Industries, Ltd. in 1897 with copper wire production, we have developed many new technologies and products through innovative R&D activities based on Sumitomo Electric manufacturing technologies for electric wires and power cables. With more than 350 subsidiaries worldwide, we continue to introduce a wide variety of products that fulfill the expectations of society, in five business fields: Automotive, Information & Communications, Electronics, Environment & Energy, and Industrial Materials. We are a Fortune global 500 company.
SEUHO is an Equal Opportunity employer and will consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, genetics, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
To learn more about Sumitomo Electric Group, please visit http://global-sei.com.
Follow Us on LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/company/sumitomo-electric