Smithfield Foods, inc.
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
at Smithfield Foods, inc.
- Job Locations
- QA/Food Safety
- FLSA Status
- 1st Shift
Smithfield Foods is a $15 billion global food company and the world's largest pork processor and hog producer. In the United States, the company is also the leader in numerous packaged meats categories with popular brands including Smithfield, Eckrich ®, Nathan's Famous ®, Farmland ®, Armour ®, Farmer John ®, Kretschmar ®, John Morrell ®, Cook's ®, Gwaltney ®, Carando ®, Margherita ®, Curly's ®, Healthy Ones ®, Morliny ®, Krakus ® and Berlinki ®. Smithfield Foods is committed to providing good food in a responsible way and maintains robust animal care, community involvement, employee safety, environmental and food safety and quality programs.
The Research and Development Technologist will lead projects and document results as well as the research of programs to drive cost optimization through formulation and processing efficiencies, create new prototypes for product development initiatives, and identify/approve potential ingredient and manufacturing suppliers.
- Develops new products and line extensions from bench top to commercialization.
- Performs pilot plant tests to generate product prototypes, documents, organizes product reviews, and provides verbal and written communication on progress of projects.
- Runs production tests at manufacturing plants developing commercially viable new products or reformulated products to improve quality.
- Works with on-line formulation data base system creating or adjusting product formulations.
- Maintains accurate project files, formulations, specifications and product/ project data.
- Works with cross functional teams (Marketing, Sales, Manufacturing, Finance, Engineering, Quality, Process Control etc.) on projects providing product development support.
- Improves product development skills though appropriate training, understanding FDA regulations and hands-on working in projects.
- Assists other R&D team members if required to generate product prototypes.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. May perform other duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals to perform the essential functions.
- Bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited four-year college or university in Food Science or related field and 2+ years of relevant plant manufacturing experience, required.
- Master’s Degree, preferred.
- Able to work with pilot plant equipment with minimum supervision.
- Proficient in on-line work systems and product development software tools.
- Continuously improves and updates product development skills and understands all aspects of current plant process systems.
- Ability to multi-task; strong interpersonal, communication, organizational and time management skills.
- May require travel up to 40% of the time.
Work Environment & Physical Demands
The work environment and physical demands described are representative of those an employee encounters or should possess while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Office and plant setting. The plant environment will include wet or humid conditions (non-weather related), extreme cold and heat (non-weather related), working near moving mechanical parts, exposure to fumes or airborne particles, and chemicals.
- Noise level in the work environment is usually moderate but can be loud when in the production area.
- Occasionally lift and/or move up to 75 pounds
- Specific vision abilities include close vision, distance vision, and ability to adjust focus.
- Frequently required to stand; sit; walk; use hands handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; stoop, kneel, crouch, and talk or hear.
Smithfield, is an equal opportunity employer committed to workplace diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, gender identity, protected veterans status or status as a disabled individual or any other protected group status or non-job related characteristic as directed by law.