Smithfield Foods, inc.
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Plant Production Trainer-Pork Fabrication
at Smithfield Foods, inc.
- Job Locations
- FLSA Status
- 1st Shift
Are you an ambitious, enthusiastic leader with a desire to guide teams in achieving established goals and is interested in producing good food, responsibly for families across America? Then join one of the country’s top 25 consumer packaged goods companies, Smithfield Foods!
In Operations, you would be on the front-line of the business; overseeing production, tracking product yields, and making necessary adjustments. Ensuring that safety and USDA health standards are met throughout all steps of the manufacturing process. You would be a key player in upholding the trusted quality in which Smithfield, Eckrich, Nathan’s Famous, and our other brands are known to possess.
Responsible for training and assisting assigned hourly employees in the development of knife techniques to include sharpening and maintenance of sharpening tools. Will work the vast majority of time on the production floor coaching and assisting employees in their knife sharpening techniques and knowledge. Will work with all employees, spending more time with those experiencing difficulty with maintaining a sharp cutting tool. Develops tracking documents to best identify those needing additional training.
- Trains hourly production employees on how to sharpen cutting tools and how to maintain sharpening devices in good condition.
- Travels the production line in observation of inappropriate knife usage or knife sharpening techniques that could prevent an employee form having a sharp knife.
- Corrects and retrains employees exhibiting behavior that is contrary to training.
- Documents and identifies trends involving employees, tools, or jobs/tasks having most the most difficulty maintaining a sharp cutting tool.
- Schedules training time with employees needing additional training.
- In the absence of key personnel the employee’s supervisor or qualified designee (one that has been trained in the key employee's duties) is responsible to complete or delegate the completion of all required tasks and responsibilities.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. May perform other duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals to perform the essential functions.
- High school diploma or general education degree (GED) and 2 years’ experience in a Manufacturing environment and/or training, required.
- Meat Industry experience, preferred.
- Must be highly skilled in the use of straight and whizard knives to include sharpening techniques and the maintenance of steels, mouse traps and other related sharpening equipment.
- Must be willing to take instruction from Master Knife Trainers and train according to our best practices.
- Must have the ability to train and communicate effectively both verbal and written.
- Ability to evaluate employee performance/techniques with cutting tools.
- Must be an effective teacher/trainer exhibiting patience and dedication.
- Must be able to deal with stressful situations calmly and exhibit good judgement.
- Must have good time management skills.
- Ability to work well with others in fast paced, dynamic environment.
- Ability to be respectful, approachable and team oriented while building strong working relationships and a positive work environment.
- Bilingual, preferred.
Work Environment & Physical Demands
The physical demands described here are representative of those an employee should possess to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Occasionally lift and/or move up to 30 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required include close vision, distance vision and ability to adjust focus.
- Frequently required to sit, stand, walk; use hands to handle or feel, and talk or hear; reach with hands and arms; stoop, kneel, crouch, climb or crawl.
Work Environment & Physical Demands
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The plant environment will include wet or humid conditions (non-weather related), extreme cold and heat (non-weather related), working near moving mechanical parts, exposure to fumes or airborne particles, and chemicals.
- Noise level in the work environment is usually moderate but can be loud when in the production area.
Smithfield, is an equal opportunity employer committed to workplace diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, gender identity, protected veterans status or status as a disabled individual or any other protected group status or non-job related characteristic as directed by law.