Simpson Gumpertz & Heger Incorporated
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Entry-level Engineer, Engineering Mechanics
at Simpson Gumpertz & Heger Incorporated
We seek an individual with an advanced degree in Structural Engineering or Engineering Mechanics to join our team in the Engineering Mechanics and Infrastructure (EMI) group. EMI applies engineering mechanics, materials science, numerical simulation, innovative technologies, and collective expertise to solve our clients’ toughest problems in an inspiring work environment that nurtures life-long learning and growth. We provide significant advancement opportunities commensurate with performance. The EMI group provides services to facilities located in the United States and internationally requiring advanced state-of-the-art analysis, such as nuclear and non-nuclear power generation facilities, national defense installations, pipelines and tanks, bridges, and precision observatories. These services include seismic design and evaluation, probabilistic risk assessment, finite element analysis, accident analyses, drop load impact analysis, and safety evaluations.
Under the direction of the Principal, s/he performs engineering analyses of structures, systems, and components for extreme events, including earthquakes, wind, explosions, and impact loads.
- Develop finite element models of structures using commercially available software and perform linear and nonlinear structural analyses using these models.
- Perform seismic soil-structure interaction analyses of building structures.
- Perform field walkdown assessments of power generation, national defense, industrial, and petrochemical facilities.
- Evaluate structures for compliance with code criteria.
- Prepare calculations and reports documenting engineering analyses.
- M.S. or PhD in Structural Engineering, Engineering Mechanics, or similar fields with emphasis on structural analysis, structural dynamics, and engineering mechanics.
- A strong background in structural analysis, structural dynamics, structural design, and engineering mechanics. is required.
- Strong oral and written communication skills in English are preferred.
- Engineer-in-training (EIT) registration or the ability to obtain within 1 year.
- Familiarity with computer programs ANSYS, ABAQUS, LS-DYNA, and/or SAP2000.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work independently and in large multi-disciplinary teams.
- Ability to travel.
- May be required to work on projects that are subject to passing a security clearance check.
- Must have a valid driver’s license and an acceptable Motor Vehicle Report.
SGH has almost 600 employees and offices in Boston, Chicago, Houston, New York City, San Francisco, Southern California, and Washington, DC.
SGH is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and we value diversity in our workforce. We are committed to providing equal opportunities to all job applicants and employees. SGH considers all qualified applicants, and we encourage individuals with disabilities and protected veterans to apply.