Service Corporation International
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Rose Hill - Arrangements Counselor Trainee
at Service Corporation International
- Associate Requisition ID
- # of Openings
- Category (Portal Searching)
Overview & Responsibilities
Position Summary: Participate and complete Rose Hills training to effectively meet with families and arrange for mortuary and cemetery goods and services required in final disposition. Ensure that funeral arrangements are performed in a professional and courteous manner, and that they comply with Company policy and with state and federal regulations.
Essential Job Functions & Expectations:
Must be able to perform the essential functions of the job with or without reasonable accommodations.
- Successfully complete Rose Hills At-Need training program including the working knowledge to be able to effectively complete funeral and cemetery arrangements.
- Observe Arrangements Counselors in making mortuary and cemetery arrangements.
- Make mortuary and cemetery arrangements with our families with the guidance of an Arrangements Counselor.
- Complete funeral and cemetery arrangements with families which are thorough, accurate, timely and with appropriate follow-through to ensure customer satisfaction.
- Present and sell Rose Hills products and services in accordance with company objectives; and accurately explain prices, services and policies.
- Respond to phone calls and E-mails in a timely manner.
- Maintain a customer service score of 900 or better month to month.
- Maintain a family participation level of 5.4% or better month to month.
- Provide support to the Family Service Program as needed.
- Demonstrate a high level of compassion, empathy and integrity.
- Proactively identify cost savings and revenue enhancement opportunities.
- Identify ways to streamline and/or improve work efficiency.
- Abide by the Company dress code and any department requests regarding work attire.
- Prepare accurate documents and enter arrangement notes into the AS400 in accordance with Company standards.
- Keep immediate supervisor promptly and fully informed of all problems and matters of significance and take prompt corrective action where necessary.
- Report the need for vehicle or facility maintenance.
- Prepare required reports on time, and actively participate in staff meetings.
- Maintain positive working relationships with Company employees.
- Handle customer changes with willingness, friendliness, and a “can-do” attitude; accommodate customer needs with flexibility to ensure a high level of positive customer service.
- Must be able to multi-task, set priorities, and organize work.
- Adhere to Company policies, procedures, rules, and controls.
- Adhere to safety rules and regulations, and report unsafe practices to management.
- Act on customer complaints to provide satisfactory resolution.
- Understand and achieve annual SMART goals.
- Adhere to the attendance policy and report to work on time.
As an Individual Contributor, incumbent is expected to meet the Key Competency requirements of Open Communication, Building Relationships, Personal Leadership, Commitment to Quality, Business Focus,
and Customer Focus. Meeting the behavior standards in each Competency links directly to the annual Performance Review.
Requirements & Qualifications
- Bilingual – Korean and English a must
- Five years experience in the mortuary/cemetery industry, with knowledge of funeral ceremonies and practices, including three years arranging funerals
- Licensed Funeral Director (or pass the California Funeral Directors Exam) and/or licensed Embalmer, preferred
- Must pass CFDA Arrangers Test or equivalent, and if necessary, complete an CFDA Funeral Arrangers Course or equivalent, and successfully pass the accompanying examination by a score of 75% or higher
- Retail sales and customer service background a plus
- Minimum of two years of college; or A.A. degree a must
Knowledge and understanding of Cemetery and Funeral Laws.
CA Drivers’ License and good driving record
Excellent interpersonal relations skills
Problem solving skills
Self-motivated and flexible
Warmth, compassion, empathy
Diplomacy under pressure
Ability to multi-task, prioritize tasks, and differentiate level of importance
High level of communication and listening skill
Cultural sensitivity to the diverse community that Rose Hills serves
Basic PC skill with MSWord, Excel, and Outlook
Work indoors arranging funeral services for grieving families. The atmosphere can be heavy with grief and sad emotions. Incumbent must be able to work effectively in this atmosphere by not letting it affect his/her ability to provide the level of professional service that families expect. Must be able to remain positive, calm, and composed during stressful situations; and present a professional appearance at all times. Must work daily with interruptions and changing schedules; be able to work a flexible schedule, depending on business needs; work occasional evenings and/or weekends.
Work with grieving families; handle emotional situations with professionalism; occasionally must be able to lift, pull, push up to approximately 25# (caskets, human remains); must be able to work with and around human remains.
Equipment / Machines Operated
PC with MSOffice software and printer
Copier, fax machine
Caskets on rollers
A Place to Remember®
Since 1914, Rose Hills has been a place to remember. At that time it was an 18-acre memorial park serving the Whittier, California area. Today, Rose Hills is North America’s largest memorial park, with two full-service mortuaries and five planning centers that serve the world.
Rose Hills Memorial Park is only minutes from the Greater Los Angeles and Orange County areas. It is rich in history, and it has an abundance of positive feng shui throughout its 1,400 acres. Rose Hills is world-famous for its Pageant of Roses Garden and also for SkyRose Chapel. To learn more about the unique features of the Rose Hills Whittier campus, please download our driving tour (pdf).
From Whittier, Rose Hills is proud to offer comprehensive, compassionate memorial care including cemetery property, funeral services and cremation options. From start to finish, you and your family will be assisted by Rose Hills’ professional team, which will coordinate and perform all aspects of your personalized arrangements.
Rose Hills can assist with advance planning or arrangements at the time of need from any of our four locations. All of our locations extend the Rose Hills legacy of personal service into the diverse communities we serve.
Rose Hills is proud to be a member of the Dignity Memorial® network of funeral, cremation and cemetery service providers. With more than 1,800 network providers across North America offering exclusive benefits, the Dignity Memorial brand is your assurance of quality, value, caring service and customer satisfaction.