Santa Barbara County Education Office
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
at Santa Barbara County Education Office
Pay: $29.17 to $34.945/hour
$29.17 - $34.945
Job Status: Full Time
Job Reference #: 2626377
Overall Job Objective
- *NOTICE OF CHANGE - The application deadline has been extended until 12/6/19*
SALARY / BENEFITS
SALARY: $29.17 - $34.95 Hourly
BENEFITS: Click on the Benefits tab above or click here
5% allowance for assignments in a County Jail facility, when applicable
We are accepting applications to fill two vacancies in Santa Maria. The current vacancies are in the General Services Department and Community Services Department, Parks Division.
THE POSITION: Under general direction, the incumbent performs skilled plumbing work in the maintenance, repair, and installation of gas, water, sewer lift stations, water wells, and irrigation; and performs related duties as required.
The Ideal Candidate will have:
- Experience with Microsoft Office (Word and Outlook)
- Ability to work independently, organize and prioritize work, and address time-sensitive issues
- Strong work ethic and integrity
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent customer service skills
- Certification in Grade D-1 Water Distribution
- Certification for Backflow Prevention Device Tester
- CPO (Certified Pool Operator)
- Confined Space Entry certification
- Experience working with HVAC systems
The work schedule for this position will depend on the needs of the department, which may include working on weekends, holidays, evenings, and on-call shifts.
NOTE: Employees who are assigned or temporarily assigned to a jail facility will be required to successfully complete a Personal History Questionnaire (PHQ), successfully complete a background investigation, and participate in a tour of a jail facility. The current vacancy for the General Services department is for the North Branch Jail facility.
- Examples of Duties
- Installs and repairs pipes, fittings, and fixtures;
- Operates and maintains pumps and water treatment systems, hot and cold water systems and similar components, water wells, and irrigation fixtures;
- Maintains and repairs water sprinklers, irrigation systems, sewer lift stations, and water wells;
- Tests completed work and makes necessary adjustments;
- Makes periodic inspections of systems for safe and efficient operation;
- Estimates material, labor, and total cost of repair and installation jobs;
- Makes reports of time and materials required to repair and maintain equipment;
- Maintains records of systems operations;
- May supervise helpers on major installations and repair jobs.
- Employment Standards
- One year of experience performing journey-level plumbing; OR,
- One year of experience performing duties equivalent to the class of Building Maintenance Worker II with Santa Barbara County that included responsibility for skilled plumbing; OR,
- A combination of training, education, and experience that is equivalent to one of the employment standards listed above and that provides the required knowledge and abilities.
- Possession of a valid California Class C Driver's License at the time of appointment. Incumbent will be required to travel throughout the County of Santa Barbara.
- Certification on backflow prevention device tester may be required, depending upon the job vacancy.
- May be required to obtain a Class A Driver's License.
- Required to wear uniform.
Additional Information: Incumbents in this classification may be exposed to a variety of hazardous and/or unpleasant working conditions, including: wet, rainy, cold, or hot weather; poison oak; exposure to chemicals; and work in a locked facility.
Knowledge of: water and gas installation; maintenance and repair methods, tools, materials and equipment used in plumbing maintenance, repair and construction work; safety procedures, requirements, and equipment.
Ability to: trace and analyze causes of plumbing, irrigation, water well and sewer lift station problems and make repairs; read, interpret, and work from blueprints; prepare rough sketches of work and estimates of materials and labor; work cooperatively with others; speak and write clearly.
- Supplemental Information
APPLICATION & SELECTION PROCESS:
- Review of the application and supplemental questionnaire to determine those candidates who meet the employment standards.
- Supplemental Questionnaire Ranking. Responses to the required supplemental questionnaire will be evaluated and scored. Candidates' final score and rank on the employment list will be determined by their responses to the supplemental questionnaire. This process may be eliminated if there are fewer than 12 qualified candidates.
The following process is only used for the General Services Department:
- Personal History Questionnaire (PHQ). Once candidates are placed on the employment list, the Human Resources Department will email candidates a notice regarding completion of a Personal History Questionnaire (PHQ). Failure to submit a PHQ by the deadline will result in disqualification from the selection process for the General Services Department.
- Jail Tour: Candidates are REQUIRED to attend a pre-scheduled jail tour in order to advance in the recruitment. Tours will be conducted at the Correctional Facility Main Jail in Santa Barbara. All candidates are required to submit a Tour Waiver Release, consisting of a preliminary background check, and be approved prior to participating in the tour. Details will be provided to candidates by email upon passing the PHQ step. Jail tour dates TBD.
- If candidates pass and are in the top group, they will be sent to the hiring department for consideration.
- Background Screening: Includes an evaluation of references, prior employment, residence history, and neighborhood check.
- Live Scan – Electronic fingerprint scanning that is certified by the State Department of Justice.
Candidates will be required to successfully complete a background check, which includes a conviction history check, and satisfactory reference checks prior to being offered a conditional offer of employment. Appointee will be subject to a post-offer medical evaluation or examination. The appointee must satisfactorily complete a one year probationary period.
REASONABLE ACCOMMODATIONS: The County of Santa Barbara is committed to providing reasonable accommodation to applicants. Qualified individuals with disabilities who need a reasonable accommodation during the application or selection process should contact the recruiter listed on the job posting. We require verification of needed accommodation from a professional source, such as a Medical Provider or a learning institution.
The County of Santa Barbara is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE) who believes a diverse workforce is vital to upholding its mission. Recruiting efforts are designed to find, hire and retain top talent of various background and, experiences. We believe a diverse workgroup promotes productivity and cultural acceptance where differences are embraced and encouraged.
Recruiters will correspond with applicants by e-mail during each step in the recruitment process. Applicants are reminded to check spam filters continuously during the Recruitment & Selection Process steps listed above to ensure they do not miss required deadlines.
APPLICATION AND SUPPLEMENTAL QUESTIONNAIRE DEADLINE: 12/6/19; 5:00 pm. Applications and job bulletins can be obtained 24 hours a day at www.sbcountyjobs.com. In Santa Barbara, applications and job bulletins may be obtained at the Human Resources Department, 1226 Anacapa Street, Santa Barbara, CA, 93101, from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm. In Santa Maria, applications and job bulletins can be obtained on-line only at the Workforce Resource Center located at 1410 S. Broadway, from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Applicants may use County computers at the Workforce Resource Centers to complete online applications and assessments at the following Santa Barbara County locations:
Workforce Resource Center in Santa Barbara
130 East Ortega Blvd, Santa Barbara, CA
Hours: 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.; Monday through Friday
Workforce Resource Center in Santa Maria
1410 South Broadway, Santa Maria, CA
Hours: 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.; Monday through Friday
Raquel Martinez, Senior Employment Analyst, (805) 568-2842