Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
VP. Data Governance Metadata Lead- Brea, CA or Chevy Chase, MD
at PacWest Bancorp
The purpose of the role is to lead the data governance and metadata management functions. This role reports directly to the Data Governance Officer and is responsible for establishing the enterprise metadata management and ownership program to ensure adherence to the bank’s metadata and ownership standards. This includes establishment of an enterprise data dictionary, business data lineage and ownership / stewardship network, engagement with and education of data consumers, owners & stewards to enforce adoption of enterprise metadata and ownership standards, through process, technology, and communication. The incumbent will assist with the development and management of metadata definition, lineage and change control procedures and the promotion of information governance policies & standards to ensure the quality of asset data through all upstream and downstream data channels. The incumbent will also work with business partners, data management stakeholders, and the IT department to understand end-to-end data and process flows to provide recommendations on resolution of data integrity gaps while supporting the implementation of business glossary and lineage for Key Data Elements (KDEs) in scope of Governance.
- Demonstrate strong information management, metadata management, data analysis and architecture skills, including a strong working knowledge of data infrastructure and various technology reporting platforms.
- Provide leadership, motivation and establish a teamwork environment for the cross functional metadata and stewardship teams and processes; and advise teams in the development and achievement of metadata management program goals.
- Play a key role in leading the development, documentation, and implementation of metadata, lineage and ownership standards to support data governance office.
- Lead efforts to identify and prioritize enterprise and critical data elements in scope for the data governance program.
- Establish and maintain KDE (Key Data Elements) framework and ensure cross functional collaboration and approvals within data governance working group.
- Work with cross-functional information security SMEs, business SMEs and IT partners to classify critical data elements as per the security and privacy requirements.
- Work with business partners, data management stakeholders and the IT departments to define and document enterprise data dictionary and business data lineage for enterprise and critical data elements.
- Establishes change control process over metadata changes and work with functional and IT partners to enforce within organization.
- Ensure adherence to the bank level data lineage (Sourcing) standards by IT and Data Management partners.
- Work with IT and business resources on documenting transformations and data derivations within data dictionary. Review and approve technical source to target mappings and maintain cross-functional steward sign-offs and approvals for future reference.
- Document and maintain business testing and approval artifacts for sourcing efforts.
- Govern approvals and sign-offs by data stewards and owners.
- Partner with data stewards and owners to implement, enhance, and manage data governance dashboard capability and metrics reporting to track progress.
- Support data profiling results reviews, data lineage reviews, technical data mapping reviews and identification of data stewards and owners across domains in scope for data governance program.
- Document / maintain approved list of data stewards and owners.
- Lead data governance tools and processes implementation for metadata management and enable central repository for critical data definitions, lineage, change control workflow and information on approved stewardship / ownership network.
- Implement and manage training and education in the data governance space with users to ensure use and adoption of data governance tools and processes to improve quality and understanding of data.
- Establish stewards / owners on boarding and off boarding processes from DG framework
- Facilitate and provide metadata subject matter expertise within data governance working groups focused on enhancing data understanding and usability efforts.
- Lead and provide support to project teams by facilitating/attending project meetings, documenting minutes and action items, responding to assigned tasks when due and supporting program management efforts.
- A Bachelor’s degree with a minimum of 6 years of experience in metadata / data governance / Stewardship / Data Quality related work or similar.
- Minimum of 4 years of experience in a commercial bank or financial services firm.
- Strong SQL and relational database / data warehouse (Oracle, SQL Server) skills, data analysis / profiling experience.
- Experience with building enterprise data dictionary and business data lineage for common data definitions for enterprise critical data elements.
- Knowledge of industry leading data governance / metadata management tools (e.g. Collibra, Talend, Informatica etc.) and practices.
- Experience documenting data flows, business processes, power point presentations.
- Knowledge of data related government regulatory requirements and emerging trends and issues.
- Strong experience in data related activities (data governance, metadata, data management, data quality, data standards, data structures, data aggregation, and business requirement).
- Strong written and verbal communication skills with ability to speak to varying levels across the organization.
- Development and championing of cross-functional engagement within data governance and to other business / IT groups.