Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
at Pacific Clinics
Job Title: Assistant Teacher
Site/Program: Head Start/ Early Head Start
Reports To: Service Area Supervisor
Approved Date: June 10, 2013
Revised Data: December 18, 2013
Under the supervision of the Service Area Supervisor, the Assistant Teacher works as a partner with the teacher/lead teacher in developing activities for Head Start/Early Head Start children, providing them with varied experiences and an appropriate learning environment.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITES:
- Responsible for assisting the teacher with all classroom activities including, planning, outdoor activities/field trips, curriculum and child assessment implementation, and supervision of children.
- Assists with the design and planning of the daily classroom program based on the program curriculum.
- Assists with the development of individual education plans for each child.
- Supervises children visually at all times to ensure their continuous safety and care (while they are using indoor and outdoor facilities).
- Helps children to develop verbal and non-verbal language and communication skills, including the ability to communicate in and further the child's familiarity with his/her dominant language.
- Helps maintains a well-arranged and orderly classroom.
- Assists with inspection of facilities for hazardous conditions, unsafe equipment and materials; follows an emergency exit plan and helps conduct monthly emergency exit drills.
- Assists with planning and implementing activities to meet the physical needs of the children, including children with disabilities and special needs due to physical and/or mental impairment.
- Participates in parent education programs, including orientation, child development, curriculum, and parent meeting/workshops as needed; works effectively in a bilingual, diverse cultural setting.
- Responsible for the care and organization of all supplies and materials in the classroom.
- Assists with the evaluation of classroom quality using the Early Childhood Education Rating Scale (ECERS) and other assessment tools such as the Environmental Math Scan; helps create improvement action plans and follow through with corrections based on findings.
- Assists in developing materials and providing activities related to the cultural background of the children and families served.
- Helps supervise at mealtime, eating with the children to encourage good nutrition and proper social skills.
· Reports to work on time and maintains reliable and regular attendance.
· Models Pacific clinics’ approach, mission and core values in all communication and correspondence.
· Communicates effectively in a culturally competent and diverse consumer population and promotes favorable interaction with managers, co-workers and others.
· Performs other duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE/POSITION REQUIREMENTS:
· Must have an A.A./A.S Degree in Child Development, Early Childhood, Education or related degree.
· Must possess a current Child Development Teacher Permit.
· Must maintain DOJ, FBI, and Child Abuse Index Clearance.
· Must possess a current Pediatric CPR and First Aid Certification.
· Ability to resolve conflict and use abstract reasoning, problem solving, planning, and analytical skills in training, evaluation, and program development
· Demonstrated ability to work in Windows environment (including Word and Excel).
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
· Occasional need to provide gentle physical restraint to children.
· Must be able to lift up to 40 pounds.
· Some exposure to communicable diseases.
· Noise level in work environment may be moderate to loud.
· Work is typically performed in a classroom setting and some office work required.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to moving mechanical parts and outside weather conditions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate. Local business travel is required.
A review of this description has excluded the marginal functions of the position that are incidental to job performance of the fundamental job duties. All duties and requirements are essential job functions.
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by this employee. The employee will be required to follow any other instructions and to perform any other duties requested by his or her Manager and/or Supervisor.