Los Angeles Superior Court
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Supervising Court Interpreter
at Los Angeles Superior Court
Overall Job Objective
- Position Description
POSITION TITLE: SUPERVISING COURT INTERPRETER
SALARY: $7,636.25 Monthly / $91,635.00 Annually
OPENING DATE: 1/24/2019
CLOSING DATE: CONTINUOUS
EXAM NUMBER: R9888E
TYPE OF RECRUITMENT: Open Competitive Job Opportunity
This position may close at any time based on the needs of the Court.
Applicants are encouraged to apply promptly.
Los Angeles Superior Court is seeking mission driven, team oriented, ethical, and highly-motivated individuals to fill the position of Supervising Court Interpreter. Join the Los Angeles Superior Court and become part of a well-skilled, knowledgeable, high performance workforce.
Los Angeles Superior Court is the largest unified trial court in the United States with nearly 600 courtrooms presided over by 550 bench officers and 4,500 full-time employees. The Court has 40 Court locations, serving 88 cities, and 118 law enforcement agencies countywide.
Supervising Court Interpreters are required to oversee and travel to multiple court locations throughout Los Angeles County. Incumbents are responsible for supervising, scheduling, and evaluating the work of court interpreters to ensure that the Court provides quality language services to limited English proficient court users efficiently in court proceedings. Incumbents monitor courtroom language requirements and redeploy interpreters throughout the day, as necessary, to meet the needs of the Court. Incumbents are responsible for working with their assigned interpreters to build and maintain a service-oriented, team environment that meets the needs of the Court and the public it services. Incumbents are expected to administer policies, methods, and processes to deliver high quality language services, efficiently and cost-effectively. Incumbents handle highly sensitive, complex issues and/or situations and are expected to maintain the confidentiality of these matters. For a detailed job description, click here.
- Choices Benefit Plan - In addition to your salary, benefits may be purchased using a Court tax-free benefit allowance provided to employees that may range between $971.68 - $2094.29 (based on number enrolled in medical coverage). If the cost of the benefits selected is less than the allowance, the employee receives the difference as additional taxable pay. Medical, dental, disability, life and AD&D insurance, and health and dependent care spending accounts are available in Choices.
- Deferred Compensation Plan (457) - Optional tax-deferred income plan that includes a County match of up to 4% of employee's salary.
- Vacation - All permanent and other designated categories of employees are eligible to earn paid vacation based on years of service. Vacation time may not be used during the first six months of employment.
- Sick leave - Depending on the length of service and employment categories, up to one day of full pay per month of service is accrued monthly for qualifying service.
- Holidays - 13 days per year.
- Bereavement leave
- Retirement Plan - A retirement plan is provided to full-time employees.
- The Commuter Benefit Plan (CBP) - Allows employees to pay for eligible public transit expenses using pre-tax dollars (up to IRS limits).
For questions regarding benefits, contact the Court's benefit unit at (213) 633-0391 or (213) 633-0395.
To qualify, you must meet the following minimum requirements at the time of filing:
- A current, valid certificate as a certified or registered* Court Interpreter issued by the Judicial Council of California on behalf of the State of California; -AND-
- Three years of full-time interpreting in a legal environment, one year of which must have been in a State and/or Federal Court; -AND-
- A valid California Class C driver's license or the ability to utilize an alternative method of transportation when needed to carry out job-related essential functions.
*Certified or Registered Court Interpreter - For information on how to become a certified or registered court interpreter and for a list of frequently asked questions, please visit the Judicial Council of California website at http://www.courts.ca.gov/7996.htm.
Note: Credit for experience is given based on a 40-hour workweek. Part-time experience is credited on a part-time ratio, i.e., working 20 hours per week for two months equals one month of experience. No additional credit is given for overtimeDESIRABLE QUALIFICATIONS:
- Experience supervising a team, preferably for a public entity
- Familiarity and understanding of daily court operations, policies, and procedures
- Ability to handle conflict with tact and diplomacy
- Experience working in a confidential environment handling sensitive information
- Comfortable with computer applications such as Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, and Outlook; and comfortable with learning new systems
- Knowledge of California Trial Court Act and other applicable laws
EXAMINATION INFORMATION:A qualifying evaluation of training and experience based upon submitted application materials, and supplemental questionnaire.APPLICATION and FILING INFORMATION:
Applications may only be filed online. To learn how to apply online, please access the Online Employment Application Guide. Los Angeles Superior Court reserves the right to verify all submitted documentation prior to appointment. The Court will only consider completed applications submitted, along with the required documents, and will reject incomplete applications. A resume will not substitute for a fully completed employment application. To facilitate the full and proper consideration of your work experience, clearly specify what professional experience meets the required job qualifications. When listing your work experience, please specify the beginning and end dates for each job you held and describe your experience for each position.
Please provide a current and accurate e-mail address for the Court to communicate with you about this job opportunity. Human Resources staff will notify all applicants of their application status via e-mail. We recommend that you add firstname.lastname@example.org to your safe senders list to avoid the notification being filtered as spam mail.
Los Angeles Superior Court is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants with disabilities who require reasonable accommodations to participate in the recruitment process can contact the email address provided below. For additional employment information, please click here.
WHAT TO EXPECT NEXT:
Applicants who meet the minimum requirements will be placed on an eligible list which will remain valid for up to one year, and may be invited to participate in the next phase of the recruitment process that may consist of any combination of written, performance, or oral appraisal to demonstrate knowledge, skills, and abilities.
Questions regarding this posting may be emailed to MPenate@LACourt.org
Exam No.: R9888E
Supervising Court Interpreter
Applications may be submitted online at www.lacourt.org
OR via the HR computer kiosk at
Los Angeles Superior Court
Human Resources Administration
111 N. Hill Street, Room 203
Los Angeles, CA 90012