La Sierra University
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
at La Sierra University
The cook prepares and serves meals in a friendly, professional manner to the La Sierra University community. The Cook’s responsibilities involve all facets of kitchen operations including preparing, serving, cleaning, receiving, inspecting and rejecting orders, and the monitoring of all kitchen equipment.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Prepares and cooks foods.
- Receives verbal instructions on food preparing and cooking food according to instructions.
- Provides the highest quality of service to customers at all times.
- Follows basic recipes and/or product directions for preparing, seasoning, cooking, tasting, carving, and serving soups, meats, vegetables, desserts and other foodstuffs for consumption in eating establishments.
- Prepares foods by operating a variety of kitchen equipment to measure and mix ingredients, washing, peeling, cutting, and shredding fruits and vegetables, and trimming and cutting vegetarian meats for culinary use.
- Tastes products, reads menus, estimates food requirements, checks production, and keeps records in order to accurately plan production requirements and requisition supplies and equipment.
- May select recipes per menu cycle, prepare bakery items, receive inventory, move and lift foodstuffs and supplies and prepare meals for customers requiring special diets.
- May clean and sanitize work stations and equipment and must follow all regulatory rules and procedures.
Required Skills and Abilities
- Ability to follow standard file recipes and make notations of existing discrepancies (consults cook or supervisor regarding any changes).
- Ability to accurately process recording of leftover foods.
- Ability to learn operation and care of all mechanical equipment used.
- Ability to learn and practice principles of safety and sanitation.
- Must be physically capable of working in settings of extreme heat and humidity.
- Must be able to stand for 4 hours at a time.
- Must be able to lift 50 lbs.
- Must be adaptable to working in a high stress work environment.
- Able to maintain body equilibrium to prevent falling when walking, standing or crouching on narrow, slippery or erratically moving surfaces.
- Able to bend body downward and forward by bending spine at the waist (stooping).
- Able to bend legs at knee to come to a rest on knee or knees (kneeling).
- Able to bend the body downward and forward by bending leg and spine (crouching).
- Able to move about on hands and knees or hands and feet (crawling).
- Able to extend hand(s) and arm(s) in any direction.
- Exposure to chemicals and cleaning solutions.
- Hazards include, but not limited to, cuts from broken glass, metal cans, burns, slipping and tripping.
- Frequently immerses hands in water.
- High school diploma or GED or equivalent,
- Previous quantity cooking/food handling experience.
- Must be able to read and follow instructions, recipes as well as perform basic math. Must possess good interpersonal communication skills and be able to relate to a wide variety of people.