Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
at H.B. Fuller
H.B. Fuller is a leading global adhesives provider focusing on perfecting adhesives, sealants and other specialty chemical products to improve products and lives. Our commitment to innovation brings together people, products and processes that answer and solve some of the world's biggest challenges. And, our promise to our people connects them with opportunities to innovate and thrive.
Location: Wilmington, CA
The Scientist I has the primary responsibility for conducting research tasks assigned by more experienced scientists and managers. This is a laboratory bench level position. A Scientist I will participate in development, technical service and quality control to support and achieve the goals and plans of the businesses for which they support. The Scientist I Reactives is expected to apply technical expertise to solve customer opportunities in the flexible packaging market. This would include but not be limited to the chemistries of one and two component polyurethanes liquid moisture cures, and epoxies. In addition the Scientist I Reactives would be expected to provide an in-depth knowledge of the raw materials and manufacturing practices used to develop reactive PU products. The Scientist I Reactives requires a fundamental understanding of the equipment and dynamics used to deliver these products to the end use substrates. The Scientist I Reactives would have a primary objective of laboratory development, production scale –up and commercial introduction of new products as well as to contribute to technical service lab activities for the flexible packaging business. He/she would be expected to work in a team efficiently and fulfill the project target milestones following the company innovation stage gate process.
This individual is involved in a variety of research, development and technical service activities, including:
- Conducting and analyzing experiments on organic and inorganic substances to determine and evaluate their chemical and physical properties and to investigate their applications to industry. Carrying out experiments to improve upon or to duplicate materials and substances, and engaging in research to identify new methods of processing or production.
- Applying and interpreting standard scientific theories, concepts and techniques.
- Completing basic projects independently, drawing conclusions with guidance, and reproducing and articulating results and their meaning, including business impact.
- Supporting product or process demonstrations.
- Identifying and developing solutions to problems where causal relationships can be identified and some precedence may exist.
- Documenting test results and making process improvement recommendations.
- Documenting project updates and executing projects using project management methodologies.
- Fulfilling responsibilities as required by the Quality System for the site/business unit.
- Working in a safe and efficient manner.
- Travel for product customer trials, product scale-up and laboratory meetings will require less than 10% of their time.
- Bachelor Degree in Chemistry or Chemical Engineering.
Or (internal option)
- A combination of years of college chemistry (15 quarter credits = 1 yr.) and/or years of industrial laboratory experience, the sum of which totals 6 years. Or, 2 year Vo-Tech certificate in laboratory technology plus 4 years of industrial laboratory experience. Where the Vo-Tech certificate has not been obtained, a minimum completion of 1 year of college chemistry is required.
- Solid know how on polyurethane chemistry and Flexpack requirements
- Experience in polyester synthesis
- Experience in development of low monomer polyurethane prepolymers
- Experience in water based reactive systems
- Experience in analytical testing and quality control processes
- Experience in product transfer activities (scale up etc.)
- Experience in running a pilot laminator for Flexpack
Employees are eligible for full benefits, including medical, dental, insurance, 401k contribution, paid time off and paid holidays. All employees also qualify for an annual cash bonus, based on business performance. Annual raises are rewarded based on company and individual performance.
To all recruitment agencies: H.B. Fuller does not accept agency resumes unless directly engaged by Human Resources. Please do not forward any resumes to Human Resources or any employees. H.B. Fuller is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.
For more information and to apply, go to: http://jobs.hbfuller.com/
H.B. Fuller is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran, or disability status.