Davis Wright Tremaine
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Chief Diversity & Inclusion Officer
at Davis Wright Tremaine
The Chief Diversity & Inclusion Officer (CDIO) will: lead the execution of the firm’s diversity strategy as well as ongoing and new initiatives to build a more inclusive culture and embrace a widely diverse workforce; have firm-wide responsibility and authority to promote the awareness of diversity and inclusion issues both internally and externally, for both staff and attorneys; collaborate closely with peers and directors responsible for recruiting and retention, training and development, practice development and other related areas on issues of diversity and inclusion; and be a key spokesperson for the firm’s commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion in the legal and business communities and with clients.
The CDIO will be a key member of the chief team working together to guide and support the diversity and inclusion strategy of the firm with the goal of ensuring that diverse attorneys and staff have the same opportunities to succeed as their peers. The CDIO will also serve as the firm’s representative in relevant community activities, groups, and professional organizations, and will have strong relationships and the ability to collaborate on best practices with peers in other organizations on diversity and inclusion.
The CDIO is expected to serve as a positive role model, mentor and change agent to the firm’s attorneys and staff, and to perform all responsibilities in a way that supports and promotes the firm’s commitment to providing superior service to those constituencies and to its clients.
We are relentlessly committed to client service and look for candidates who share that commitment. At DWT, client service means having empathy for each client’s and each lawyer’s work and personal pressures, business objectives, and legal needs; anticipating their needs; and having the capabilities and commitment to deliver what matters most to them.
- Lead the firm’s diversity and inclusion efforts for lawyers and staff, including implementation of strategy, best practices, programs, initiatives and training
- Coordinate integration of the diversity plan throughout the firm’s on-going business strategy
- Influence through educating and serving as a change agent for the organization
- Promote a cohesive and inclusive overarching culture while maintaining a sense of local identity in various office locations
- Serve as an advisor to firm management in the area of diversity and inclusion and periodically report to the Executive Committee of the firm
- Work with the Chief Strategy Officer and Pro-Bono Counsel to coordinate client-facing diversity and inclusion programs and initiatives that support the firm’s client outreach, business development and alumni outreach efforts; attend meetings with current and prospective clients in support of such efforts; seek out speaking engagements and opportunities to participate in panel discussions on issues relating to diversity, equity and inclusion
- Work in partnership with key staff management and attorney leaders to:
- Develop a Diversity & Inclusion Dashboard and establish defined measures of success, targets, and incremental goals for the short and long term
- Collaborate on programs that oversee the recruitment, integration and retention of diverse attorneys and staff
- Collaborate on implementing training and development of firm leadership on allyship and implicit bias as well as other diversity related trainings for all attorneys and staff
- Serve as an advisor and thought leader for all firm-wide Diversity & Inclusion-related communications and all external Diversity & Inclusion related communications and campaigns
- With the Chair of the Diversity & Inclusion Committee, manage and lead meetings of the firm-wide Diversity Executive Council (DEC), Office Diversity Ambassadors (ODAs), and Attorney Affinity Groups Chairs
- Oversee the efforts of the firm’s Attorney Affinity Groups and manage the creation of firm-wide resource groups for staff
- Collaborate with local inclusion councils by serving as liaison to them in their initiatives, events (internal and external) and other projects
- Monitor and evaluate the results of the associate and counsel evaluation process, the associate compensation processes and the evaluation and promotions of staff in order to understand and respond to development and diversity opportunities and needs
- Oversee maintenance of a database of firm diversity information used for completing various related surveys in which the firm is requested to participate and for responding to client requests for information on the firm’s diversity and inclusion initiatives
- Oversee the firm's budget for diversity related committees and affinity groups, industry memberships, and minority bar conference sponsorship
- Attend related conferences, meetings and other internal and external programs to acquire and report on practices, new approaches and other information to improve the firm’s diversity and inclusion initiatives; speak at and otherwise represent the firm at conferences, meetings and in other forums about diversity and inclusion issues generally and about the firm’s programs in those areas specifically
- Bachelor’s degree in business, management, organizational development or related field with a minimum of seven years of senior leadership experience in the diversity field.
- Previous legal experience and a JD is preferred.
- 10+ of experience planning, designing and delivering programs and practices related to diversity and inclusion issues in a complex, consensus-driven environment, including at least five years of relevant director-level experience in a large, multi-office organization
- Ability to counsel attorneys, staff, and management, demonstrating confidentiality, tact, and resourcefulness
- Demonstrated knowledge of diversity and inclusion best practices in law firm and other professional services environments
- A strong presence that instills confidence and understanding of key issues in the diversity and inclusion legal community
- The interpersonal skills to build lasting relationships and drive consensus; evidenced ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with peers, attorneys, office, firm and practice management, clients and prospective clients
- Proven record implementing diversity and inclusion initiatives through to execution
- Demonstrated skills in interacting with clients and coordinating on diversity initiatives with clients
- Outstanding creative thinking skills and the ability to offer new ideas and approaches to diversity and inclusion applicable to new environments
- Exceptional ability to communicate with varied audiences in writing, verbally and through presentations
- Superb organizational and project management skills, coupled with a strong attention to detail
- Ability to work independently and with a team, and to delegate and manage resources effectively
- Commitment to the office and firm, and to professional growth and development
- Ability and availability to travel in order to effectively implement the agreed upon strategy and the firm’s diversity and inclusion initiatives
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to feel and reach with hands and arms and frequently required to sit, stand, walk and occasionally stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform essential job functions.
This job description intends to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this position. It is not intended to include all duties and responsibilities.
Davis Wright Tremaine LLP believes that embracing diversity and inclusion brings out the best of what each individual has to offer and inspires us to build strong and lasting connections with each other, our clients, and our communities. We are committed to promoting a diverse workforce and inclusive environment where every employee has the right to work in surroundings that are free from all forms of unlawful discrimination. It is our policy to hire, promote, transfer, terminate, and make all employment-related decisions without regard to an employee’s sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, or related medical condition), race, color, ancestry, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, religious creed, age, marital status, physical or mental disability, genetic information, medical condition, military condition, military or veteran status or any other basis prohibited by applicable local, state, or federal laws.