Davis Wright Tremaine
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
at Davis Wright Tremaine
This is an exciting opportunity to work for one of the top law firms in the U.S.! Davis Wright Tremaine is looking for an experienced Billing Manager to join our team in our Los Angeles office.
This position supervises Billing Specialist(s)/Billing Assistant(s) ensuring that they are meeting the needs and goals of the firm by producing timely, high quality work product and customer service. The Billing Manager also serves as an expert regarding the billing applications, advises on accounting policies and procedures, and works with the Director, Client Accounting & Billing and Billing Managers in others offices on projects and initiatives.
At Davis Wright Tremaine, you will find challenging assignments, opportunities for professional growth and community involvement, and a culture of inclusion and innovation.
In this role, you will:
- Provide day to day supervision for the Billing Specialist(s)/Billing Assistants(s), including managing staffing levels, coverage and scheduling
- Conduct annual performance reviews, determine compensation, provide coaching, hire staff and handle any employee relations issues
- Monitor and ensure that the billing work product is timely, accurate and meets the needs of our clients and attorneys; provide periodic reporting regarding the productivity of the California billing team
- Act as a knowledgeable resource for the billing team, the Accounting department, and internal contacts, regarding billing applications, policies and procedures
- Collaborate with the Director, Client Accounting & Billing and Billing Managers in others offices in establishing, documenting and maintaining billing department policies and procedures to enhance efficiency; identify and implement process improvements to increase efficiency and accuracy
- Be responsible for all aspects of client billing support. Tasks could include rate reviews; delinquent time; client/matter set-up and maintenance; invoice proofing; reporting; notifications and alerts; e-billing and invoice delivery and reporting
- Report and seek approvals for holds, write-downs, write-offs, and other transactional adjustments
- Review client engagements and guidelines for billing related special instructions and agreements
- Perform special projects and research as requested including past/present balances, unbilled/billed fee statuses, bill revisions and production
- Research and respond to internal and external client inquiries by telephone and email, conferring with lawyers regarding bill content, concerns, and requests when appropriate
- Collaborate with lawyers and legal staff regarding special billing arrangements, billing system capabilities and billing plans
- Participate in the on-boarding process for new lawyers including on-boarding orientations
- Perform special technical projects as requested by the Director, Client Accounting & Billing or Regional Office Administrator – California
Join us if you have:
- 7+ years accounting experience with an emphasis on legal billing and a demonstrated record of increasing responsibilities, and 5+ years supervisory experience with a staff
- College degree in finance or accounting strongly preferred
- Demonstrated understanding and proficiency with Aderant Expert Billing or Elite Enterprise Billing and Reporting Module or similar comprehensive or enterprise-level accounting software experience
- Demonstrated ability to perform advanced spreadsheet functions in Excel
- Advanced knowledge of accounting policies, procedures and applications
- Experience in a law-firm or professional services organization, supporting a multi-office environment, strongly preferred
- Ability to establish effective working relationships throughout operational groups
- Demonstrated supervisory ability to effectively train, apply good judgment and provide direction to team of employees
- Strong customer service, problem solving and communication skills, both verbal and written, with all levels of a professional services organization, including interpersonal skills
- Ability to handle stressful situations in a calm, composed manner
- Ability to train others, establish the confidence of your staff, and apply good judgment
- A strong attention to detail and quality control
- Demonstrated ability to learn new technologies quickly and independently
- Must be a team player and have ability to work independently, with minimal supervision
- Must perform well under pressure and execute assignments with minimal direction. Advanced skill level of standard MS Office applications, specifically Excel and Word
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to feel and reach with hands and arms and frequently required to sit, stand, walk and occasionally stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform essential job functions.
This job description intends to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this position. It is not intended to include all duties and responsibilities.
Davis Wright Tremaine LLP believes that embracing diversity and inclusion brings out the best of what each individual has to offer and inspires us to build strong and lasting connections with each other, our clients, and our communities. We are committed to promoting a diverse workforce and inclusive environment where every employee has the right to work in surroundings that are free from all forms of unlawful discrimination. It is our policy to hire, promote, transfer, terminate, and make all employment-related decisions without regard to an employee’s sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, or related medical condition), race, color, ancestry, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, religious creed, age, marital status, physical or mental disability, genetic information, medical condition, military condition, military or veteran status or any other basis prohibited by applicable local, state, or federal laws.