City of Pasadena (CA)
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Senior Project Manager (Capital Projects)
at City of Pasadena (CA)
The City of Pasadena - Public Works Department is seeking a professional, collaborative, and forward thinking Senior Project Manager with excellent customer service skills to join its Engineering Division and oversee the design and construction of high-profile multi-discipline capital projects. This position entails management of complex projects from inception through implementation, including public outreach and planning, environmental, design and construction phases. This position will be tackling projects that generally involve management of consultants and contractors, permit acquisition, tracking of budgets and schedules, and working closely with the public and various outside organizations.
There is one or more vacancy in the Engineering Division within the Public Works Department.
The ideal candidate will have extensive experience managing a diverse range of competitively-bid capital projects, with a focus on municipal facility, bridge retrofit and park projects. This candidate will be able to demonstrate a successful track record of delivering projects within a prescribed timeframe and budget. Projects may include ground-up municipal building construction, tenant improvements, building condition assessments and retrofits, park development and improvement, and bridge retrofits.
Please note: A cover letter MUST be submitted with the application in order to be considered. All applicants must also submit resumes.
This recruitment is open continuous and is subject to close at any time. A first review of applications is scheduled for August 15, 2019. Apply now!
- Essential Functions
The major responsibilities of this position are listed below. For more detailed information, please review the job description.
- Serves as project/construction manager and/or oversees the planning, design and construction/repair of municipal buildings and facilities, bridges and parks; develops project budget estimates; reviews and approves plans, specifications and estimates for construction of major capital projects.
- Hires, manages and coordinates professional consultant contracts, including development of requests for qualifications (RFQ), requests for proposal (RFP). Negotiates, recommends for award and oversees execution of professional service contracts.
- Develops bid packages, bids and awards construction contracts; negotiates change orders; takes all appropriate actions and identifies and utilizes all available resources to ensure that construction work is performed on schedule and in accordance with specifications.
- Identifies, investigates and resolves project-related problems to keep all construction activities on track and moving forward.
- Collaborates with staff from various city departments, outside agencies and the public on project coordination matters and approvals, as well as in resolving technical issues.
- Coordinates with consultants, contractors, finance professionals, operations and maintenance personnel, peer managers, coordinators, and administrative personnel in the design development and delivery of the project.
- Supervises, evaluates, schedules and assigns work to administrative, technical and professional staff and regularly receives verbal and written reports of progress.
- Administers grant funding appropriated on projects; prepares required local, State and Federal reports for various construction projects, and other reports, memos and correspondence related to contract compliance.
- Reviews daily inspection reports; prepares periodic reports on the progress of all contracts; compiles and maintains records on project status and contractor performance; performs inspections in the field on special and more complex inspection assignments; conducts final review of all projects.
- Establishes and tracks project objectives, budgets and schedules consistent with departmental plans and policies.
- Develops and updates infrastructure master plans and capital improvement programs and projects.
- Prepares and presents reports to City Council, commissions, and committees.
- Represents the department at various public meetings; prepares and conveys presentations to build consensus and secure public support; maintains effective community participation on assigned projects.
- Regular attendance is an essential function of this classification.
- Qualification Guidelines
The following list represents the core competencies needed for success in this position.
- Project and Construction Management – Practicing principals to ensure that projects are on-time, on-budget, and achieve their objectives
- Written and Verbal Communication - Communicating effectively to build consensus and obtain project buy-in amongst various stakeholders
- Professional Impact- Presenting self as a positive representative of the organization
- Relationship Building- Establishing rapport and maintaining mutually productive relationships with various project stakeholders
- Political & Organizational Savvy- Working skillfully with elected officials, procedures, and protocols across organizational levels and boundaries
- Legal & Regulatory Navigation- Understanding, interpreting, and ensuring compliance with public contracting code; local, state and federal laws and ordinances; design standards and regulations
- Supervisory Skills – Coaching and mentoring staff
- Critical Thinking – Analyzing and developing innovative solutions
- Leadership Skills – Promoting a culture of teamwork and communication by working in collaboration and maintaining an open mind to diverse voices and ideas
Any combination of education and experience that provides knowledge, skills, and abilities necessary for acceptable job performance would qualify. Example combinations include:
- Bachelor's degree in engineering, architecture, landscape architecture, construction management, or a closely related field; and
- Minimum five years of progressively responsible experience in capital project management and construction management with significant experience in building/bridge/park construction; including minimum two years in a lead managerial or supervisory role.
Desired Qualification-Professional License & Years of Experience
Possession of current registration as a professional engineer, licensed architect or general contractor and six or more years of experience in capital project management and construction management with significant experience in building/bridge/park construction is preferred.
The selection process will consist of application evaluation, an oral panel interview, and a department level interview.
Candidates selected for this position are subject to a one year probationary work period.
The current vacancy is in our Engineering Division of the Public Works Department.
The resulting eligibility list from this recruitment may be used to fill this vacancy and similar.
- Special Requirements
Must have or obtain a Class C California driver's license and a satisfactory driving record.