City of Pasadena (CA)
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Senior Instrument Mechanic
at City of Pasadena (CA)
The Senior Instrument Mechanic is a critical position in the Pasadena Water & Power Power Plant facility that supervises and participates in the installation, adjustment, repair, testing and calibration of hydraulic, electric, electronic, pneumatic and mechanical controlling, analyzing, measuring and recording power plant instruments; recommends corrective treatment for generation systems.
The ideal candidate has the ability to work independently on the most complex of duties responsibilities for directing and overseeing the work of journey-level subordinates in the installation, repair and maintenance of the Power Plant.
To learn more about our Water & Power Department, please click here: Water & Power
MUST APPLY ONLINE
- Essential Functions
The major responsibilities of this position are listed below. For more detailed information, please review the Job Description.
- Makes visual inspections of power plant pneumatic, electronic, and hydraulic automatic controls and indicating and recording instruments to determine operating condition and perform preventative maintenance.
- Removes instruments and controls and makes major shop repairs.
- Tests, calibrates, adjusts and repairs pneumatic, electronic, hydraulic and mechanical precision temperature, pressure and flow measuring devices; replaces worn and fabricates new parts as needed.
- Maintains inventory of parts and supplies for the power plant's instrumentation and control systems.
- Troubleshoots, installs, adjusts, repairs, tests, configures and calibrates various types of microprocessor, electronic and pneumatic instrumentation and control equipment including Allen Bradley, Wonderware, software and basics, DCS and SCADA Bailey Net-90 system operation, and Continuous Emission Monitoring associated with the department's power production facilities to assure reliable, efficient, environmentally sound and safe plant operation.
- Plans, schedules, and evaluates work related to testing and repair of the power plant instrumentation and control systems; maintains all required records and reports related to power plant instrumentation and control systems.
- Requests and receives Lockout/Tagout clearances on equipment, and directs the activities of Instrument Mechanics.
- Uses test instruments such as electronic meters, manometers, pneumatic loaders, pressure gauges and indicators and other analyzing and electrical testing equipment and meters.
- May organize projects and direct power plant operators, and mechanics in special tests and maintenance work.
- Qualification Guidelines
- Attention to Detail - Focusing on the details of work content, work steps, and final work products.
- Leveraging Technology - Apply technology for improvements in organizational efficiency and effectiveness.
- Teamwork - Collaborating with others to achieve shared goals.
- Mechanical Insight - Comprehending how mechanical, electrical, and systems operate and interact.
- General Physical Ability - Using Strength, endurance, flexibility, balance and coordination.
- Manual Dexterity - Using senses, hands, and fingers in manipulating objects quickly and efficiently.
- Safety Focus - Showing vigilance and care in identifying and addressing health risks and safety hazards.
Any combination of education, training, and experience that provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities is qualifying. A typical example of this would be six years experience in the repair and maintenance of mechanical equipment and machinery, of which two years shall have been as an Instrument Mechanic with the City of Pasadena or another municipal utility.
The selection process may consist of a training and experience evaluation, written test, interview panel, department-level interviews and possibly a Work Preference Questionnaire.
Probationary work period is 12 months.
There is currently one (1) vacancy in Power Supply Division of the Water & Power Department. The resulting eligibility list from this recruitment may be used to fill similar vacancies in the future.
- Special Requirements
Possession of a valid Class C California Driver's License is required at time of appointment and as a condition of continued employment.