City of Long Beach
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
OCCUPATIONAL HEALTH PHYSICIAN
at City of Long Beach
Ideally located on the Pacific Ocean south of Los Angeles and just west of Orange County, Long Beach is the sixth largest city in the State of California. Offering all the world-class amenities of a large metropolitan city, coupled with its strong sense of community and pride, Long Beach is one of the most vibrant communities in the country. The City has been referred to as the "Most Diverse City" in the country by USA Today and one of the "Best Communities for Young People" two years in a row. With its ideal location in Southern California, year-round comfortable climate, healthy business environment and far-ranging cultural pursuits, the City is alive with activity. Long Beach is home to an abundance of cultural and recreational options. Expansive beaches, three marinas, five golf courses, the Aquarium of the Pacific, the Queen Mary and the annual Grand Prix of Long Beach serve to draw 6.5 million visitors a year. The City's full-service commercial airport has preferred flight schedules, carriers, and overall accessibility that makes it the travel-friendly alternative to other Southern California airports. In addition, Los Angeles' rail transit system, the most used light rail system in the country, connects the city to the entire region. Long Beach continues to make significant investments in its parks, beaches, streets and other amenities (including a new city hall) indicative of the financial stability and health of the City.
Long Beach is a full-service Charter City governed by nine City Council members who are elected by district and a Mayor that is elected at-large. Elected officials also include the City Attorney, City Auditor, and City Prosecutor. The Council Members and the Mayor are subject to a two-term limit, which allows them to serve for a maximum of eight years. The City Council appoints a City Manager and a City Clerk. The City Manager is responsible for the efficient administration of all City departments, excluding those under the direction of a separately elected official, Board or Commission. The City of Long Beach provides all traditional public services. In addition to its traditional services, the City also maintains one of the world's busiest seaports, which serves as a leading gateway for international trade. Long Beach also has its own full-service commercial airport and is one of only three cities in California with its own Health Department. Long Beach is supported by a total FY 2018 budget of approximately $2.6 billion, with the General Fund budget totaling $537 million. More than 5,900 full and part-time employees support municipal operations with the majority being represented by eleven employee associations. To learn more about the City of Long Beach, go to www.longbeach.gov
The Human Resources Department provides the full range of human resources supports services to 22 departments throughout the City. HR's services include labor relations, employee relations, benefits, training, salary and classification administration, HRIS administration, oversight of personnel investigations, EEO compliance, occupational health services, risk management, and safety compliance. We believe that the City's greatest assets are its employees, and take great pride in managing the systems that support a highly productive, innovative, caring, and customer-oriented workforce. Our mission is to provide leadership and operational support to City departments to enhance their ability to recruit and retain a qualified, diverse workforce and to effectively manage business risk. We are committed to being strategic partners with all departments to ensure that the City has the talent and resources needed to provide great services to the community.
The Personnel Operations Bureau within the Department of Human Resources is seeking candidates for a full-time Public Health Physician. This unclassified, at-will, position reports to the City's Occupational Health Services Officer at the Occupational Health Services clinic located on Grand Avenue in the City of Long Beach.
The salary range for this position is up to $170,000 annually. Placement in the range will depend on qualifications.
- EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
This position will:
- Provide occupational health services to approximately 6,000 City employees;
- Perform pre-employment physical examinations of potential employees;
- Perform state and/or federal mandated, and City required exams (Department of Transportation, Hazardous Materials, Pulmonary Functions, Hearing Conservation, etc.);
- Order and interpret diagnostic tests, assess medical conditions, provide medical care and treatment and related duties as required by standard protocols established by the Medical Director;
- Provide physician consultation on workers' compensation cases;
- Consult with other physicians regarding medical status of employees;
- Make recommendations to other City departments regarding OSHA medical guidelines;
- Actively participates in departmental performance improvement activities and maintains confidential information;
- Performs other duties as required.
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE
The ideal candidate provides medical care and experience that exceeds expectations and works effectively in a collaborative team environment. The ideal candidate will also have the following skills and attributes:
- Possess general knowledge about occupational and environmental medicine;
- Ability to work in a fast-paced setting and effectively manage a full patient caseload;
- Must have effective diagnostic and decision making skills in an area of specialty/expertise;
- Must be able to diagnose a patient condition and make associated treatment recommendations and/or specialty referral;
- Possesses a working knowledge of California workers' compensation system, OSHA and California Health, and Safety Codes/laws;
- Effectively utilize computer systems to communicate and record and track case management/patient care data;
- Ability to work in a diverse and labor/management partnership environment;
- Champion new ideas and processes and demonstrate the ability to problem solve;
- Ability to effectively communicate both orally and in writing;
- Must be able to work in a collaborative manner.
- REQUIREMENTS TO FILE
- Possession of a valid physician and/or surgeon's license issued by the Medical Board of California
- Valid DEA Narcotics license
- CURRENT Curriculum vitae
In addition, one of the following options is required:Completion of a recognized Occupational Medicine ResidencyORCompletion of a recognized Internal Medicine or Family Practice Residency and one year of acute care medicine within the chosen specialty.Highly Desirable:
- State Board Certification as a specialist in Occupational Medicine;?
- Medical Review Officer (MRO) Certification;
- Two or more years of experience in treating patients with occupational injuries or a Master's degree in Public Health or other Preventive Medicine field;
- Enrollment in an Occupational Medicine mini-residency is also desirable.
COPIES OF ALL QUALIFYING CERTIFICATIONS, LICENSES, AND DEGREES REQUIRED AT THE TIME OF FILING.
- SELECTION PROCEDURE
This recruitment will stay open until filled and may close without notice. To be considered for this opportunity, applicants must submit a resume, cover letter that reflects the scope and level of their current/most recent positions and responsibilities, and responses to supplemental questions. Online applications can be filed at https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/longbeach.
Incomplete applications or candidates who clearly do not meet the minimum requirements of the position will not be considered.
This information is available in an alternative format by request to the Department of Human Resources at (562) 570-6803. If you require an accommodation because of a disability in order to participate in any phase of the application process, please request when submitting your application or call (562) 570-6803.
For technical support with your governmentjobs.com application, please contact (855) 524-5627.
The City of Long Beach is an Equal Opportunity Employer and values diversity at all levels of the organization.