City of Long Beach
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
GARAGE SERVICE ATTENDANT
at City of Long Beach
Job Status: Full Time
Job Reference #: 2240994
Overall Job Objective
- Accepting online applications only. Apply online 24 hours a day beginning on October 19, 2018. Filing will remain open until vacancies are filled. Filing may close without further notice.
Current vacancies are in the Financial Management (Fleet Services Bureau) Department. This position is also used in the Water and Harbor Departments.
SPECIAL NOTE: Current city employees within the classification or held prior status within the classification, with a desire to transfer to another department, bureau or division, submit your transfer application to be placed on the Transfer List.
- EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
- Under immediate supervision, services, tows, and performs preventive maintenance, adjustments, and minor repairs of automotive and other motorized equipment; supplies motor vehicles with gas, oil, air, and water; lubricates all types of power equipment; removes, cleans, and replaces emission control devices; replaces light bulbs and fuses; examines, charges, and replaces batteries; repairs tires and tubes; cleans and washes vehicles; cleans shop areas and repairs shop equipment; assists mechanics and other trade skilled personnel on assigned jobs; delivers vehicles and/or transports people to various locations; maintains and repairs gutter and street brooms; observes safety rules and regulations; operates a tow truck and tows vehicles; operates a fork lift and electric cart; may act in a lead capacity; may maintain records of pool vehicle operations and other activities; may open and close shop work orders using computerized Fleet Management system; may use computers and related equipment to diagnose vehicles/equipment, enter data, track work, and produce reports; may interact with vendors and/or customer departments via phone, fax, email, and in person; may assist in lien sales and property disposal procedures; may train, assign, or direct the work of subordinate personnel; may dispatch calls for service; may utilize computerized inventory and financial systems; and performs other related duties as required.
- REQUIREMENTS TO FILE
Applicants must meet Option A or B.
A. One year of paid full-time equivalent experience performing automotive and motorized equipment servicing and maintenance which requires a working knowledge of tools, equipment, materials, and procedures used in the preventive maintenance, adjustment, and minor repair of automotive and other motorized power equipment.ORB. One year of paid full-time equivalent experience in towing vehicles under a variety of conditions.
Recent vocational training at an accredited institution in Diesel or Automotive Mechanics or a closely related field, OR a current, towing competency certificate from the American Automobile Association, California Tow Truck Association, or Wreck-Masters, may be substituted for up to six (6) months of the required experience (proof required)*.
Additional Requirements to File:
- Ability to maintain simple records and work cooperatively with others including the public.
- Willingness to work any shift assignment, including nights, holidays, and/or weekends as required.
- Willingness to comply with the Anti-Drug and Alcohol Misuse Prevention Program as required by the Department of Transportation.
- A valid driver's license and DMV driving record will be required by the hiring department.
- A State of California Commercial Driver License (Class A or B) is required prior to the completion of the probationary period.
- Positions in the Financial Management/Fleet Services Bureau require a California Tow Truck Association (CTTA) Light Duty Level 1 Certificate prior to completion of the probationary period.
*Proof of required documents for vocational training and/or certificates must be uploaded to the application at the time of filing. Any proofs submitted must contain either the applicant's name or other identifying characteristic.
- Towing experience is desirable in the Financial Management/Fleet Services Bureau.
- Any Automotive Service Excellence (ASE) certifications.
- Experience with MS Word & Excel is desirable in the Water Department.
- Working knowledge of fuel, ignition, electrical, alternative fuel, and cooling and braking systems.
- SELECTION PROCEDURE
- EXAMINATION WEIGHTS:
A minimum rating of 70 must be attained in each part of the examination. This recruitment is being conducted on a continuous basis, and eligible lists may be established periodically. Resulting eligible lists will remain in effect for at least six months. Applicants receiving Veteran's Credit will be placed on the eligible list first and then in the order in which applications were filed.
If you have not received notification within three weeks of filing your application, contact the Civil Service Department at (562) 570-6202.
In support of the City's Language Access Policy, bilingual skills (Spanish, Khmer and/or Tagalog) are desirable for some positions interacting with the public.This information is available in an alternative format by request at (562) 570-6202. If special accommodation is desired, please contact the Civil Service Department two (2) business days prior to the test at (562) 570-6202. For hearing impaired, call (562) 570-6638.
An Equal Opportunity Employer.