Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Director of Payroll Services
at Chapman University
Manage and oversee the payroll process, manage time and labor, system upgrades in PeopleSoft HCM 9.2 for about 3500 employees and wage-earners. Multiple state payroll tax setup, monthly/quarterly/annual filing state and federal taxes and W2 reporting. Payroll accounting JEs and GL reconciliations. Important Note: We are 100% In-house, Self Service, we do not use third parties for payroll. Manages two full-time employees and multiple student workers.
Manage and oversee the payroll process (50%)
· Experience working with PeopleSoft HCM and Time and Labor Modules in PeopleSoft.
· Manage and oversee the day-to-day payroll operations.
· Supervise 4 employees providing direction, training, development, and job performance evaluations.
· Oversee bi-weekly and monthly payroll processing for administration, staff, full-time and part-time faculty employees.
· Prepare and coordinate production schedule for payroll input and processing.
· Remittance of payroll taxes and manage monthly involuntary deductions.
· Process entries and clearings of general ledger payroll accounts.
· Oversee and authorize garnishments and tax levies.
· Oversees fiscal and calendar year-end processing of payroll, including supplemental payrolls, W2 and other government required documentation.
· Familiar with bargaining agreements.
Customer Service Support (20%)
· Answer complex payroll policy and procedure questions for University personnel.
· Research and resolve complex payroll requests.
· Reconciliation of payroll deductions, garnishments/levies.
· Assist Human Resources to research, resolve and answer complex payroll questions, requests, and discrepancies according to FLSA, CA state and wage and labor code, INS, IRS, and Chapman University policies and procedures.
· Maintain PeopleSoft HCM system federal and state tax updates, regulatory bulletins, compliance and data integrity.
· Design and generate meaningful, ad hoc reports (Bureau of Labor Statistics, Union Reporting, etc.)
Technical Payroll Support (15%)
· Interpret, propose, and develop University payroll policies and procedures to ensure compliance with government regulations, regarding payroll issues.
· Develop and update internal operating procedures and controls for the processing of payroll.
· Conduct payroll research.
· Serve as payroll focal point keeping up with the most current and latest changes regarding regulations and requirements of law governing payroll and Chapman policies.
· Maintain, support, update, program current payroll system and time/attendance system.
Other Payroll Support (15%)
· Manage and prepare management and payroll reports for various internal departments, government agencies, and vendors.
· Government reporting, federal/multi state preparation and filing.
· Interpret, propose and develop University payroll policies and procedures.
· Prepare and file multiple federal and state tax returns regarding payroll items.
· Oversee and perform special payroll projects as needed from upper management and outside sources
Skill / Requirements
· 10 years applicable payroll experience - working with employers from 1,000+ employees.
· Bachelors Degree strongly preferred with a focus on Accounting.
· Certified Payroll Professional (CPP).
· Experience working with PeopleSoft HCM including Time and Labor Modules.
· Higher Ed, Non-profit experience.
· Strong interpersonal communication skills with a diverse group of individuals at all organizational levels, both inside and outside the University.
· Knowledge of IRS and labor law regulations and codes.