Azusa Pacific University
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Residence Director - Residence Life
at Azusa Pacific University
APU is seeking employees who desire to engage in our thriving culture by cultivating community through professional interactions, demonstrating a posture of lifelong learning, and modeling Christ-like character. Working together, employees at APU commit to establishing a university atmosphere that is pleasing to God and edifying to one another
Responsible for the direction and coordination of the total residence program within his/her living area. Serves as the main facilitator in the planning and implementation of a meaningful residence life experience for students and student staff. General counseling, guidance and living area programming. Assists in the selection, training, and supervision of Resident Advisor staffs.
- Bachelor’s Degree, Master’s preferred.
- Significant relevant experience in the area of Student Affairs in Higher Education
Primary Duties/Essential Functions
- Oversee the Resident Advisors in the planning, administration, and evaluation of programs within the living areas.
- Challenges students to initiate and develop healthy interpersonal relationships with their peers.
- Supports/initiates within the living area: efforts associated with academic support, spiritual formation, cultural diversity, emotional wellness, and life planning.
Administration & Supervision
- Assists with room assignments and changes for his/her living area throughout the year, and assists check-in and check-out in cooperation with Housing.
- Monitors physical (health and safety) condition of living area, including assisting the housing services with monitoring the usage and condition of furniture. Reports known physical damage, facility-related problems, or housekeeping concerns immediately. Conducts health and safety inspections of individual student rooms at least once a semester.
- Alternates with other Residence Directors regarding on duty availability for all campus residents. Residence Directors take turns covering major holidays.
- Assists in the selection of new Resident Advisors in the spring, including conducting individual and group interviews.
- Other special duty assignments (e.g. assist in Residence Life Office, gender issues, etc.)
Mentoring, Coaching, & Role Modeling
- Is available to any students in the residence for discussion of concerns and problems. Appropriately refers students to other offices as needed.
- Provide guidance, support, and direction to Resident Advisors during RA Training, Walkabout, and at any other times appointed by the Director of Residence Life (staff retreats, leadership conferences, etc.)
- Models behavior that reflects a commitment to uphold the university standards of conduct in one’s own life; on and off campus consistent with the lifestyle expectations of Azusa Pacific University students on campus.
- Meets weekly with the Director of Residence Life, weekly with the professional Residence Life Staff, and your Living Area Staff, and individually to discuss policies, procedures, programs, concerns, resident problems, discipline situations, and personal development issues with students.
Intervention & Accountability
- Understands and can communicate the rationale for University regulations.
- Assists, confronts, and intercedes in disciplinary and emergency situations as they arise in the living areas, provides the appropriate written and verbal behavioral data relevant to administering guidance, support, and/or discipline, and reports/refers to the Director of Residence Life and the Associate Director, as necessary.
- Supports or does not openly disagree with University regulations.
- Serves as a resource and referral support to faculty, staff, parents, and other University constituents.
- Maintains an attitude of discipleship and serves as a support and resource to students in their quest for spiritual growth.
- Must be available for individual student pastoral help and guidance, responding to crisis, participating in and leading of student programming, and building relationships between students and the Campus Pastors Office.
- Provide oversight to Campus Pastor's student faith development programming and to connect students to various opportunities within APU; including, but not limited to Living Spaces Chapel, and Spiritual Formation Week.
- Assists with the spiritual and counseling needs of students.
- Seeks to develop a residential faith community rooted in the Wesleyan faith tradition while welcoming of persons of all beliefs.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to manage details and follow through.
- Must be collaborative and an effective team member and team builder.
- Ability to work independently, present self in a professional manner and reflect the goals and standards of APU.
- Initiative and good judgment with an ability to keep information confidential.
- Ability to learn policies, procedures and retain information.
- In agreement with the purpose and goals of Azusa Pacific University in providing a Christian-based higher education for its students, while exhibiting a mature Christian faith.
- Able to exercise independent judgment and discretion.
- Willingness to be available evenings and weekends.
- Able to confront and intercede in disciplinary or emergency situations.
- A desire to grow both personally and professionally.
- Requires repetitive motion and sitting at computer keyboard.
- Intermittent sitting and standing.
- Ability to conduct business at other locations on campus.
- Hearing and speaking on the telephone and in person.
- Ability to lift, pull, grasp, bend, and reach.
- Able to lift up to 20 lbs occasionally.
- Must be able to climb stairs multiple times in a work day.
- Computer monitor and reading.
- Assessment of living area conditions.
- Pleasant office setting, comfortable temperature.
- Proficient in Google Apps., Microsoft Office, Word, and Excel.
- Grade 7: $3,377.75 - $4,391.08/month - 10 months
Azusa Pacific University is a Christ-centered, multicultural community that values and seeks faculty and staff who are committed to diversity, work effectively with diverse populations, and engage others in ways that honor our rich cultural mosaic and biblical foundation.
Click below to discover some of the many benefits APU employees enjoy including competitive health care options, an 8% retirement match, and a generous tuition discount.
You can learn more about APU by watching the stories of faculty, staff, and alumni as they carry out our mission here: http://www.apu.edu/stories/
Azusa Pacific University will conduct a background check on all final candidates.
Review of applications will begin immediately, and the position will remain open until filled unless otherwise stated. Azusa Pacific University does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, age, disability, or status as a veteran in any of its policies, practices, or procedures. Women and minorities are encouraged to appl