Azusa Pacific University
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Payroll Specialist - Business Office
at Azusa Pacific University
APU is seeking employees who desire to engage in our thriving culture by cultivating community through professional interactions, demonstrating a posture of lifelong learning, and modeling Christ-like character. Working together, employees at APU commit to establishing a university atmosphere that is pleasing to God and edifying to one another.
This position is responsible for assisting in processing payroll which includes transmitting, auditing and monitoring tax compliance. Responsibilities include all pre-processing tasks including setting up direct deposit and voluntary/involuntary deductions, creating batched pay data, uploading automated time and attendance data and AP information and other pay-related documents. Tasks also include all post-production steps including auditing and downloading reports. Specialist will provide excellent customer service to all individuals with whom contact is made and participate in team tasks with the goal of transmitting an error-free payroll to an outside vendor for processing. This specialist is also responsible for knowledge of the processing of the other types of payrolls and support to the other team members.
- High School Graduate, additional education in business or accounting desirable.
- Minimum 3 years of ADP payroll experience in a high-volume company, preferably higher education.
- Proven understanding of core fundamentals, including paycheck calculation, healthcare and retirement benefits, wage and hour laws and payroll taxes.
- Ability to learn and process from multiple sources of data. i.e. timekeeping (Kronos), request form solutions such as Formstack, Hello Sign, etc.
- Experience in providing customer service in the communication of pay, tax, benefit and retirement benefit issues with employees.
- Accomplished in working with various teams to reach a common goal including working collaboratively and cooperatively with all team members.
- Process a variety of paper and electronic data uploads for purposes of creating and transmitting payroll transactions for semi-monthly and bi-weekly employees with strict adherence to payroll deadlines.
- Process employment contracts for faculty, special pay requests such as overload pay, mentor pay and independent study. Perform complex calculations of retro pay and special withholdings such as housing allowances.
- Process special pay such as leave of absence, mobile allowances and termination pay in accordance with direction from Office of Human Resources, Office of the Provost and coordinating departments.
- Monitor banking transactions with third-party payroll provider to respond to ACH rejections and make corrections.
- Monitor special pay frequencies of 9, 10, and 11 month employees.
- Ability to comprehend the data in available resources and reports to (1) communicate effectively with employees and the HR Department in explaining pay statement related inquiries, (2) organize data for internal and external agency audits and (3) perform quarterly and year end reconciliation for W-2 and tax reporting.
- Work collaboratively and cooperatively with Payroll team, Human Resources, Kronos team and current third-party payroll provider to resolve all payroll, tax, benefit and garnishment issues prior to submitting payroll for final processing.
- Provide customer service for pay information, taxation, and applicable labor law to employees.
- Data entry of W-4 and direct deposit requests.
- Receive, review, and upload pay and deduction files from other systems.
- Maintain accurate payroll records in accordance with Federal and State agencies, University policies and procedure and GAAP.
- Respond to various subpoenas for records as requested by the Office of the General Counsel.
- Provide assistance to the Payroll Supervisor with special projects or performance of the duties, as needed.
- Excellent organizational skills, ability to multi-task and willingness to learn new skills.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to focus on details while adapting to workflow changes that occur throughout the day.
- Proficient with MS Word, Excel and ADP Reporting.
- Accurate data entry and 10 key by touch.
- Ability to interact effectively with vendors, faculty, staff, students, and the general public.
- Able to exercise independent judgment and discretion with minimal supervision.
- Ability to work under minimal supervision, take initiative, and possess logical problem solving.
- Attention to detail, accuracy, and deadlines.
- Ability to identify internal control weaknesses and effectively communicate operational and functional improvements to supervisor.
- Ability to integrate Christian values in all aspects of the position.
- In agreement with the purpose and goals of Azusa Pacific University in providing a Christian-based higher education for its students.
- Requires continuous periods of sitting, 5-6 hours a day.
- Extensive computer keyboard work, including repetitive wrist and finger motions.
- Ability to effectively listen and communicate.
- Ability to lift, pull, grasp, bend to lower file drawers and reach to top of a five drawer file cabinet.
- Ability to lift up to 20lbs.
- Ability to conduct business at other offices on campus.
- Reading, writing notes, and computer monitor.
- Pleasant office with some noise and many people; comfortable temperature.
- Proficient in Google Apps., Microsoft Office, Word and Excel.
- Grade 6: $17.72 - $23.03/hour
Azusa Pacific University is a Christ-centered, multicultural community that values and seeks faculty and staff who are committed to diversity, work effectively with diverse populations, and engage others in ways that honor our rich cultural mosaic and biblical foundation.
Click below to discover some of the many benefits APU employees enjoy including competitive health care options, an 8% retirement match, and a generous tuition discount.
You can learn more about APU by watching the stories of faculty, staff, and alumni as they carry out our mission here: http://www.apu.edu/stories/
Azusa Pacific University will conduct a background check on all final candidates.
Review of applications will begin immediately, and the position will remain open until filled unless otherwise stated. Azusa Pacific University does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, age, disability, or status as a veteran in any of its policies, practices, or procedures. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.