Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Commercial Training and Development Manager - Instructional Designer
at Amgen Inc.
Amgen discovers, develops, and delivers innovative human therapeutics. A biotechnology pioneer since 1980, Amgen was one of the first companies to realize the new science’s promise by bringing safe, effective medicines from lab, to manufacturing plant, to patient. Amgen therapeutics have changed the practice of medicine, helping millions of people around the world in the fight against serious illnesses. With a deep and broad pipeline of potential new medicines, Amgen remains committed to advancing science to dramatically improve people’s lives.
Based in Thousand Oaks, California, the Instructional Designer (ID) is a member of the GCO Learning and Performance Operations and Technology Team. The role helps support Global Learning Solutions (GLS) to provide Learning Professionals training solutions in all commercial regions including US, Europe, Intercontinental, and JAPAC.
This position is responsible for designing and developing learning solutions that are aligned with the region’s strategies and the business needs of each commercialized product. The ID partners closely with commercial learning professionals and marketers to understand performance challenges and desired work outputs. The ID combines their understanding of Amgen’s products and commercial staff needs with best practices in Instructional Design while delivering best-in-class performance support, training, and communications solutions for clients. The ID follows creative design standards to ensure all assigned deliverables are met.
The ID owns end-to-end instructional design responsibilities for training projects (e.g., Training needs analysis, design documentation, writing and editing of creative deliverables, adept use of tools and templates, and quality control of final deliverables). As prioritized through a governance process, the ID produces deliverables such as content outlines, design documents, style guides/templates, storyboards, infographics, workshop materials, performance support tools, and eLearning modules.
1. Consults with functional learning professionals and marketing partners to ensure the most appropriate learning solutions are proposed
2. Provides end-to-end instructional design support on learning projects
3. Employs ID best practices in the execution of project deliverables, including design documents, content outlines, workshop materials, performance support tools, and eLearning modules
4. If needed, works with vendors, shared service providers and contract workers to develop and deliver training deliverables
5. Supports the identification and if needed, the creation of media assets
6. Works with learning clients to ensure governance, design, development and approval processes are followed
7. Maintains partnerships with appropriate functional representatives
8. Provides thought leadership on new and innovative approaches to Instructional Design
9. Executes on the annual goals of the group and the department
10. Partners with GL&P colleagues to identify opportunities for collaboration, process improvement, and resource sharing
11. Attends key commercial meetings (eg. National or Regional US Sales Meetings- S1 & S2, Key Marketing Meetings, Key Product Launch Meetings) to ensure quality, delivery when required, and iterations of key learning initiatives and workshops
12. Facilitates design workshops with GCO L&P and marketing teams for high priority projects and/or products
13. Some travel may be required
Bachelor’s degree & 2 years of Learning & Performance or Pharma/Biopharma Sales/Marketing experience
Associate’s degree & 6 years of Learning & Performance or Pharma/Biopharma Sales/Marketing experience
High school diploma / GED & 8 years of Learning & Performance or Pharma/Biopharma Sales/Marketing experience
Comprehensive knowledge of adult learning principles and instructional design
• 5+ years of experience in Sales and/or Marketing in the pharma or biopharma industry
• 5+ years of experience developing eLearning, ILT/vILT, OJT, performance support, and other learning solutions (e.g., gamification)
• Experience conducting training needs analysis in order to identify appropriate learning solutions
• Experience supporting training projects from beginning to end
• Experience creating deliverables for sales or marketing clients
• Strong consulting and proven project management skills
• Prior experience with learning technology solutions and eLearning design software
• Collaborative work style with ability to solicit input, influence, and support decision making
• Strong service orientation and high standards of excellence and business enablement
• Strong written and oral communication skills
Please upload or submit a portfolio or sample of your creative work when attaching your resume.
If you're seeking a career where you can truly make a difference in the lives of others, a career where you can work at the absolute forefront of biotechnology with the top minds in the field, you'll find it at Amgen.
Amgen, a biotechnology pioneer, discovers, develops and delivers innovative human therapeutics. Our medicines have helped millions of patients in the fight against cancer, kidney disease, rheumatoid arthritis and other serious illnesses.
As an organization dedicated to improving the quality of life for people around the world, Amgen fosters an inclusive environment of diverse, ethical, committed and highly accomplished people who respect each other but compete intensely to win. Together, we live the Amgen values as we continue advancing science to serve patients.
Amgen is an Equal Opportunity employer and will consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status.
Amgen is committed to unlocking the potential of biology for patients suffering from serious illnesses by discovering, developing, manufacturing and delivering innovative human therapeutics. This approach begins by using tools like advanced human genetics to unravel the complexities of disease and understand the fundamentals of human biology.
Amgen focuses on areas of high unmet medical need and leverages its biologics manufacturing expertise to strive for solutions that improve health outcomes and dramatically improve people's lives. A biotechnology pioneer since 1980, Amgen has grown to be one of the world's leading independent biotechnology companies, has reached millions of patients around the world and is developing a pipeline of medicines with breakaway potential.