Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Associate Engineer, Mechanical Design
at Aerojet Rocketdyne
- Job ID
- Engineering - Mechanical Engineering
Aerojet Rocketdyne is seeking an Associate Mechanical Design Engineer to join our engineering design team in our Canoga Park, CA location. This entry-level position requires mechanical design skills that will be applied in designing and solving issues in the development of valves, injectors, preburner and gas generators, chambers, or nozzles for large liquid rocket engines. Working under the guidance of senior staff, the candidate will support component design and integration of large liquid rocket engine components used in high pressure, extreme environment applications, such as valves, injectors, preburner and gas generators, chambers, and nozzles.
Essential Job Functions (Including % of Time for Each)
Under direct supervision, the selected candidate will perform mechanical design engineering assignments requiring application of advanced principles, theories and concepts to develop propulsion hardware for spacecraft and missile programs.
50% - Performs design tasks that contribute to the development of component systems for high pressure and extreme environment applications. Interpret engineering models and drawings and perform tolerance studies. Evaluates technical input from hardware suppliers and work with a cross functional team on producibility improvements and cost savings. Participates in trade studies and preliminary design using 3D CAD models.
20% - Performs or coordinates thermal and structural analysis for predicting component and system level performance in the design of the products. Interacts with manufacturing to assure hardware is producible.
20% - Prepares engineering drawings with associated geometric dimensioning and tolerancing in accordance with ASME Y14.5 standards. Actively participates in team meetings to assure design content for new or modified engineering designs. Prepares CAD files for team approval and monitors design release.
10% - Prepares presentations for internal and external customers. Responsible for preparing engineering reports to support tolerance studies, engineering analyses, or failure investigations, including technical close-out reports.
- Requires a Bachelor's degree in Mechanical Engineering or an appropriate discipline, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- An advanced degree or coursework toward an advanced degree is a plus.
- Working knowledge of CREO Pro-Engineer CAD geometry-based modeling is desired.
- Experience in the design and development of mechanical systems and working knowledge of ANSI Y14.5 is desired.
- Strong mechanical engineering background with knowledge and understanding of fluid flow principles.
- Experience with aerospace valves, injectors, preburner and gas generators, chambers, or nozzles is beneficial.
- General component and system level knowledge of rocket propulsion hardware is desirable.
- General understanding of manufacturing processes (welding, brazing, machining, heat treating) is necessary.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office products (Word, Excel and Power Point) is also needed.
US Citizenship required. Must be able to obtain and maintain a U.S. Security Clearance at the appropriate level (U.S. Citizenship required). Must also be able to satisfy federal government requirements for access to government information, and having dual citizenship may preclude you from being able to meet this requirement.
Work Environment and Physical Requirements:
Employees in these positions must possess mobility to work in a standard office setting and to use standard office equipment, including a computer; stamina to sit or stand and maintain attention to detail despite interruptions; may occasionally lift/carry/push/pull up to 25 pounds; may require occasional walking, climbing, stooping, crouching, and/or bending; and vision to read printed materials and a computer screen, and hearing and speech to communicate in person and over the telephone. May require the ability to travel by air or auto. May require the use of personal protective equipment such as safety glasses, safety shoes, and shop coat. These positions may be expected to work varying shifts and hours to ensure successful operation of activities in the organization.